Friday, November 8, 2013

THE WIDOW'S NEST

My condo in Portland will again be home, at least for most of the year.  In January 2013, when we learned Mr. Ralph's cancer had invaded his bones he asked if we could just remain in Maui for the couple of years he had left.  We found a young family (grandson's godparents) to rent it for just enough to cover out of pocket expenses.  They even packed up everything and hauled it to a storage unit!  We sold the car.  

Unfortunately, he only got several months but he was happy to end his time in the place he loved the most in all the world.  Home sweet home in Maui.  We enjoyed every single minute until the very last second.

Now that I have a second grandson arriving, and a much broader social network in Portland, I made the decision to move back to the condo.  The hardest part was telling my renters.  They are horribly disappointed as they, of course, turned it into home with their 4 year old daughter.  It was such a good deal for them as it is such a walkable location and they are a one car family.

Returning gives me the opportunity to decorate my way!  Today I took a Real Simple magazine quiz to help me verbalize my "style."  Cozy casual.  Which is what I would have said!  The condo is on the ground floor surrounded by huge pine trees so lighting is going to be very important.  For sure I am getting rid of the bedroom furniture (even though it was so carefully chosen together ... 20 years ago!)(although maybe it could be painted ....)  And maybe the office furniture can go.  I do everything on a laptop these days so it seems silly to dedicate a whole room that never gets used.

Lucky for me I have a friend whose style (and ability to change up her rooms) I greatly admire.  Guess what?  She recently retired from office work and is taking an interior design course!  I'm so excited.

When do you think I should tell her I have an Ikea/Walmart budget??

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, such a hard decision has been made! When do you think you'll be moving back to the mainland?

    Back in my first year out from Don's passing I seemed to be obsessed with redecorating. I had a mythical condo all decorated in beach cottage theme, but I put that on hold because condos around here that are wheelchair friendly are sold before they hit the market and I refuse to move somewhere where I can't age in place like I can in my house. You will have fun with your cozy casual style which will be easy to blend old, new and painted furniture. You color scheme is what will tie it all together. Any idea what that will be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean R ~ My plan is to return to Portland in early March (grandbaby due March 11). Some GOOD news ... some Maui friends are going to rent my Maui house! Whew! One less thing to worry about. (And I can come visit!)

    The condo walls and window coverings are plain old vanilla. So the color will be accents so I can change my mind .. with a whim or with the season! I'm undecided whether to research feng shui colors or let my personality latch on when I see it. I've been navy blue, burgundy, etc for so long .... it might be nice to see a spark of bright teal and yellow!

    For sure my kitchen will return to blue and yellow ... to match my dishes!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...