Thursday, November 21, 2013

LINKED FOR LIFE

Memories are made when you least expect them.  Like a sunset.  No matter how many we shared, each one was different and spectacular.  Mr. Ralph loved taking photos so I have a million to jog my memory.  Even though I don't really need a photo to remind me.

He loved red geraniums.  And then any red flower.  Actually I asked our family and friends to plant a red geranium this past summer in his memory.  Now his memory lives on in their gardens or decks.  I have red New Guinea impatiens going right now.  

My favorite memory is something that I can hold and touch and wear.  He had a silver ID bracelet that he ALWAYS wore.  His name in Chinese on the outside, his name in English on the inside.  He had it made on his first trip to China back in the day when Americans were not welcome...he wanted to be sure his body would be identified.

As he got sicker and sicker he lost a lot of weight.  Our friend Bob noticed his bracelet was practically sliding off his wrist.  He is an artist and a silversmith and volunteered to remove a few links for him so he could wear it in a manly manner.

A few days later, he and Paula brought over a tiny jewelry box.



He fashioned a pendant and a pair of earrings from the links he removed.  And inserted my favorite gemstone, rhodonite.  It was mined in Oregon featuring my favorite colors.

According to my research (when I first fell in love with the stone):

Rhodonite soothes the nervous system. This gemstone vibrates with love. Just holding this gemstone promotes relaxation and brings a sense of well-being. This is a balance gemstone and is used to clear the psychic centers.  The healing properties of Rhodonite raises self worth and helps ward off negativity. It has been known as a "rescue stone".

Now I am linked for life.








4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful jewelry set and the story behind the pieces is truly special! The stones are lovely and the workmanship is truly little works of art.

    I have a necklace made with my husband's wedding band and I just wore it yesterday again. The feeling of being closer to him when I have it on hasn't faded over the past almost two years. I know you'll feel the same way when you wear your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you well know I am a bit preoccupied with my first big remodel after Chuck. I have been slow to read stuff this month. Friend you are on a remarkably decent trajectory post Ralph. You are doing well. The sadness comes and goes in a pretty unpredictable patter for a long time. Then when you think it is done it jumps up like a Jack in a Box to surprise you at the least unexpected moments. It is. That's all I can say. Jewelery is a great way to stay close. I had a rather large showy ring remade into a necklace. I enjoy those diamonds so much more they way they are now than before. Often when people compliment the necklace and I respond "Thank you, it is my remodeled wedding ring now that he is gone." people start and then respond "Wow! Good idea." To have our guys close by in a way that reflects the change we have experienced is good. You are doing well. Know that. This is not easy but it does improve given time.....Lots of it. Nancy M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jean ~ I am SO grateful to Bob and Paula because Ralph never wore his wedding ring (arthritis in the knuckle). The bracelet we wore every day! Somehow I feel stronger on the days I wear them ... and good to know that special connection doesn't fade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nancy ~ I didn't even know you read the blog! And I don't think I've seen your necklace. Maybe we should go to Gerards before I return to Portland! Or when I come back for a visit!!

    You have been a great role model for me during this awkward time. And have been instrumental in helping me find friends and fellow widows. Thanks for being here for me!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...