Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DINING OUT

Dining out solo is hard for me.  It sometimes seems a stigma.

stig·ma noun
  1. a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.

    "the stigma of mental disorder"
  1. synonyms:
  1. shamedisgracedishonorignominyopprobriumhumiliation, (bad) reputation 

Really, it shouldn't feel like a stigma. Lots of people go out as couples but don't really seem to talk too much.  So singles ... whether divorced, widowed, on a business trip, or enjoying a well deserved moment of solitude ... should not be looked at with any raised eyebrows.

I enjoy food, at home as well as out and about.  But cooking for one isn't nearly as much fun as cooking for several. Or cooking for my love.  Yeh, my friend Nancy (also a widow) loaned me a couple of cookbooks "for one".  And lots of my great meals include a fabulous salad and something from my grill.  Yet I often yearn for someone else to do the shopping, chopping, cooking, serving and cleaning up.  Sometimes I can round up a friend to venture out with me.  Sometimes I just want to do a spur of the moment.  Sometimes I want to go somewhere expensive and no one wants to spend their money that way.  

Honestly?  Dining out is the closest thing to a hobby I have right now.  I enjoy dining out.  I savor delicious tidbits accompanied by a nice glass of wine.

Is there a special magic fairy who can bippity boppity boo me into feeling more comfortable dining solo?  Until then, thank goodness for my iPhone!












2 comments:

  1. I'll go...Spago is great for the GF! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take you up on BOTH! Hmmm. Spago ... are they part of Dine Out for Maui Hospice? Nov 12? Ooops NO (I just checked) How about full moon (Sunday, Nov 17?)

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...