Saturday, December 19, 2015

OH MY ACHING FEET

I have worn sensible shoes since age 35.  Dansko.  To ward off bunions, corns, hammertoes, whatever.  Podiatrist recommended.

How did this happen?  Apparently it's not just me.  There are so many products out there to help me.  Right now I can't wear closed toe shoes.  Bunions rub and knuckle on second toe (hammertoe) rubs.

Yes, I did see a podiatrist this summer.  Yes, I need bunion surgery as the angle of the bones between toe one and toe two is greater than 14%.  But he said it is painful as hell and until the daily pain is more than I can bear, just postpone. 

I wear flip flops (formerly called thongs) and now add a few essentials.  Yes, I buy the expensive kind that have a great arch support.  
This "toe spreader" keeps the hammertoe from crossing over onto my big toe.  I put on the flip flops then put this between the first two toes.

Lately, my third toe is starting to also cross and get smushed against the second toe.  So I put on this ....

Of course this foot model has PERFECT toes and perfect spacing.  I put one on my second toe and one on my third toe.

I just ordered some 


and I hope when they arrive, I can wear my tennis shoes.  And I will also try 


to keep all the toes in their own space.  Except I'll use the larger gel spreader between the first two toes.

Good golly!  All of this just to walk in comfort?  I'm going to start looking at electric wheelchairs..... please say a prayer for my friend who provides my pedicure.  Eww!


8 comments:

  1. I've had foot problems my entire life from my first pair of custom-made baby shoes but I've never had a corn, bunion or hammertoe. Sounds painful!!!! Hope the new thingies help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... if you have none of these .... what kind of foot problems? We can't lose our foundation!

      Delete
  2. One of my toes is starting to cross over my toe, but it is not painful. It's because of nerve damage, I think. I have a friend who has such foot issues, and she has to stand on her feet a lot. Good luck with your DIY remedies. Anything that helps, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet are only painful when I try to wear shoes! Which is why I use the nicely arched Vionic brand.

      Delete
  3. How much surgery can one person take in a year! How are your knees doing? These toe spreader solutions look promising - I hope they lessen your pain enough to enjoy your walks in golden Maui. NO electric wheelchair for you, AW. You're just a babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new knee is fabulous! Taking turmeric, vegetarian glucosamine (allergic to shellfish) and now looking for water aerobics. My community pool is CLOSING for six months of repairs ....

      Delete
  4. I just go barefoot most of the time and wear my New Balance walkers in the summer and my Penny Loafers now. I have seen a person whose second toe goes over their big toe. Not a pretty sight!! Hope those pacers work. I think all the years we wore the high heel, pointed toed shoes to work, did us NO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podiatrist said going barefoot is NOT good for me. Unless I am on grass or sand ... nothing hard. So arch support for me! And it is ugly to look at my feet ....

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...