Wednesday, December 23, 2015

RECYCLING

When we first moved to Maui, I was disappointed in how trashy some areas looked.  All along any road with a speed limit above 20 (and there are MANY streets with 20 MPH speed limits), was littered with plastic bags.  Swinging from chain link fences.  Caught in trees and shrubs.  Disgusting.

In 2011 the Mayor banned plastic bags.  It took a while but now I rarely see them flapping in the wind.  The County does not provide home recycling pick up!  I get to load up my car and drive two miles to walk around and try to find space in the containers in which to put my trash.  NOT a good way for an island to operate, in my humble opinion.

Oregon is at the forefront for recycling ... almost everything is picked up (sorted) at your curb.  I would think an island would be even more keen on lessening the amount of trash as there is so little room for landfill.  But Maui accepts only cardboard, certain plastic containers, cans, glass and just started taking newspaper!  (Maui does have a daily newspaper but it is $250/year so I get my local news online.)  No junk mail.  Last year the Mayor began closing some recycle centers.  So far the one closest to me is still in operation.

Since I have a two car garage and just one car, I have sorting bins for recycle.  So I wait until I have a lot before I even bother.  


6 comments:

  1. We have garbage pick up here but for recycling we have to take to the transfer station about five miles away. Lots of people just put it all in the trash instead of recycling. I hate that we as a nation don't do a better job of recycling. Too much is ending in the landfills. I'm surprised that an island isn't militant about it. Very interesting!

    Have a good Christmas. Can't wait to hear about your party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many neighbors here recycle either. Too much bother ... not too much THINKING going on!

      Merry Christmas Eve Eve!

      Delete
  2. I hope you combine your recycling expedition with some perk. Goodness, it can be hard to do the right thing sometimes. We have recycling pick-up here, but not garbage pick-up. Figure that one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I did reward myself with a wonderful lunch! How did you know? There's a healthy hippie place close by and I had a tuna wrap with collard green and a mocha made with such an array of things I couldn't imagine ... lichen?

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas, AW. I hope your Christmas Eve party brings you much love and warmth, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9:00 am here and I've done all the outside things while it's still cool. Just need to buy some ice and clean the indoors just in case it's "too cold" (68 degrees) for some to be outside. Actually, I'm getting acclimated as it was hard to get up this morning into the chill .....

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...