Sunday, February 15, 2015

SPEED DATING

My newlywed friends got such a quick tour of my Maui.  But I think they got enough to know they want to come back for more.

They landed at 7:30 Friday night and we went to Da Kitchen for dinner.  By the time we got to my house, we were all pretty tired.  We had a drink and hit the hay (they are from Florida so five hour time change).  

Saturday they were up and going at 5:00 am, so the coffee was ready when I showed my sleepy head at 8:00 am.  They had their second breakfast, showered and off we went to see some great beaches.  It was a grey and windy Saturday so the good news was, tons of parking at the famous beaches! We started at Makena Cove aka Secret Beach.  Very tiny hard to find place that hosts a wedding almost every day.


Big Beach, Wailea Beach, (then a walk about the hotel Grand Wailea to see how the other half lives), Ulua Beach and finally Keawakapu Beach (my favorite for lounging).  The most interesting thing I learned was that neither of them swim!  (Yet)



The weather was looking worse so we decided to have lunch at the Coconut Cafe ... with the best fish tacos on the island for five years in a row.  They concur.

We ended up on the back lanai sharing dessert and coffee.  When the torrential tropical rains started!  It rained so hard we couldn't even see three feet away.  SIDEWAYS!  We did the only thing we could.  Took naps.

Valentine's Day dinner reservations weren't until 8:45.  I invited my new friend/neighbor/widow, Julie, to be my date.  It was a fabulous meal and a great time!



Sunday morning we started late (9:00 am) and had a huge shared breakfast at the Kihei Caffe.  Their flight back to Kona was at 3:00 pm but I decided to show them a bit of the other side of the island.  Iao Valley and Hookipa Beach where the big waves and fabulous surfers.  The waves were stupendous but the storm caused too much foam, so there were no surfers.

I checked the time and WHOOPS!  We should have left 15 minutes ago.  And then a traffic jam!  But someone was on our side I dropped them off only 5 minutes later than planned.

All in all, I really loved being a tour guide.  It's challenging when people don't really have an idea of what they would like to see.  Both sets of guests had such a short visit yet I think everyone enjoyed what they did get to see and do.

In an hour, I pick up John and Lindee.  They are old hats with many trips to Maui under their belts ... so this will be a breeze!

I really do love this island.


6 comments:

  1. I'm sure they had a great time. Eating out was a very good idea. So much easier, especially when you're having back-to-back company. I want to be your date next time. :)
    Your hair is so cute in that pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use visitors as my excuse to eat out! It saves several hours since they are here such a short time.

      Can you see the grey in front of the flower? Trying to let it all go grey .... see if it suits me!

      Delete
  2. Cute picture! I love your hair style and glasses, not to mention your great smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely. Is that a Hibiscus in your hair?

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...