Tuesday, February 10, 2015

BABY BOOMERS - WE'RE JUST THAT COOL


Isn't this pretty amazing?  We are a force to be reckoned with.  Our numbers are growing.  By 2050, 83.7 million Americans will be 65 or older, compared with 43.1 million in 2012, the report said. Fewer than 10 percent were older than 65 in 1970.

By the time we reach this 65+ status, we have the wisdom of our age and the strength of our numbers.  This is SO much we can accomplish.

Each of us should have a passion for something.  Reading to children, rocking babies, volunteering in our community, running for City Council, whatever!  Giving back to our local neighborhood.

I was really lucky to be able to volunteer at an earlier age.  Working with Kate's teachers and classmates, at our Adult Community Center (organizing volunteers),  on the Board of our Meals on Wheels.  Now I have the Village movement.  And the grandchildren. My perfect combination of young and old.  Our past and our future.  Yep, I've slowed down a bit.  But loving it just the same!

What things do you do?



6 comments:

  1. You do enough volunteering for two people so I'm naming you as my surrogate volunteer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volunteer at whatever you get excited about? I am! Now, while I have time, energy, enthusiasm and enough youth in my 60's, I'm widening my hug to love the wonderful person I've neglected while I've been busy volunteering for others, and I include family and community in there ! You are a special breed. Your energy just keeps growing when you volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a wonderful person person to continue to hug, I wouldn't have time for all of these!!

      Delete
  3. I was room mother for 4 children from Kindergarten through their 6th grade. I was one of the original members for organizing the LIttle League baseball teams in our Township--and official scorer and car driver--for 10 years. I helped with the 4-H for 20 years. Every spring, for 6 years, I taught kids how to play golf during Outside School week. I was class chaperone for Karen's class for 4 years and Jen's class for 3. I was on the Band Parent's committee, working at Fish Fries and Bake Sales, for 6 years. I have tried to help children of all ages, during my adult years--1964-1985. Now, I do nothing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I did a lot while Kate was young and am still enjoying volunteering ... and lucky that now I can CHOOSE my jobs!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...