Monday, January 12, 2015

BURYING MY SORROWS

Maui life is going really well.  Everyone here has reached out with an invitation and I have followed up with reciprocation.

Friday night Lisa invited me to the NEW Maui Brewing Company that just opened a few weeks ago and is only about two miles away.  We shared a sampler tray of six beers (they have 17 on tap!).  I'm not much of a beer drinker but these were good!  Then we walked over to a new restaurant and shared three side dishes and a fancy girl drink!  She is an event planner and has lived here for at least ten years so it's nice to get the back story on things.

Saturday night I invited Leslie over for a chick flick and healthy girl snacks (of course her dog Mercedes was also included).  After so much gabbing, I'm surprised we actually watched a movie!  We started with Love Story (remember way back when??) but I decided it was a bit too sad so we switched to a Meryl Streep movie called Prime.  Funny, romantic comedy (with a sad ending).  I had veggies with ranch dip (made with Greek yogurt), cucumber slices to use as crackers for turkey salad, warm zucchini fritters fresh from the toaster oven, grapes and cheese.  Leslie is my dessert person ... she brought apple slices and salty caramel dip.  TO DIE FOR!  Her hubby works til 11pm so we might just do this pretty often.  With or without a movie!!

Sunday morning the South Maui Merry Widows (minus one) met for Breakfast.  Everyone looked better than when I left nine months ago, despite one member having some severe dizzy spells that have not yet been diagnosed ... she is not able to drive.  Perfect time to bring up my Village concept involvement.  
Last night I topped it off at 50% discount night at our local Japanese restaurant with Bob and Paula ... neither of whom eat sushi!  She and I shared three side dishes as well as a bowl of miso soup.  Just a perfect light dinner.

And you've noticed the common thread?  FOOD!!!


It's Monday morning here ... swim aerobics in an hour.  Walking the neighborhood twice a day.  My goals for this week.

8 comments:

  1. It sure doesn't take you long to fall back into a social life there...or on the mainland! I'm so impressed by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised that everyone contacted me FIRST! Just darned good luck, I think. Then I can keep it going.

      Delete
  2. What do you talk about on these outings and invitations to your home? I hung around with women for a while when I was first a widow and the topic always got back to men and fashion (eye roll here). Like a woman being alone was a bad thing, a temporary state at best!
    Do you keep conversation light and joke about the foibles of being single now, or probe deeper into 'uncomfortable' topics like loss and finding new meaning in life? BTW, I never talk about kids and food, because one, I don't have kids, and two, food isn't that important to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topics vary! And NONE of my good friends, here or there, talk about men or fashion. None of us are into that. Books, activites to do, local news/gossip, developing community or villages, health issues, exercise, food, movies, vacations, visitors, kids and grandkids (sorry but I am lucky enough to have them!), church, photography, computers, lifestyles, hair maintenance, budgets, record keeping, essential oils, natural cleaners and remedies, happy hours, new restaurants or shops to visit, health insurance .... and so on.

      Delete
    2. Depending on the group, we do talk about deeper topics like grieving, living with addiction in the family, how to challenge ourselves, The Merry Widows do NOT do the sadder topics in depth but help each other if/when necessary.

      Leslie is very religious, Christian and deep. She makes me think. Paula and Tara very "new age" and enourage me to think outside the box. Lisa is young and single but never talks men or relationships, mostly what's happening on island and her travels. Other friends and I have connections over different topics ... I do like cooking, as well as eating and drinking. Different strokes for different folks.

      Delete
    3. The bottom line is you are naturally an out going person, I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  3. and if I were there, I would spend most of the day lolling by the ocean--just listening to the sounds of the waves. I used to be such an extrovert--I wonder what happened to change me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Community is so important. H is talking about turning part of the downstairs into a bedroom suite, but I hope we can find a house in a community that has people our age.
    Warm zucchini fritters sound delicious.
    I can tell that you're enjoying your time in Maui. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...