Sunday, December 14, 2014

AWKWARD VEGAN

My sister is fixing a divine beef tenderloin with roasted root vegetables for dinner tonight.  Two of her friends are joining us and niece Tahlia.

Ordinarily this wouldn't seem like anything blog worthy.  Janet and Jonathan both eat to live, rather than my philosophy of living to EAT!  For years they were vegan (before it was popular).  The past 20+ years vegetarians who also eat fish.  Tahlia who is now 21 has NEVER ever had meat or fish.  

The family enjoys fruits and vegetables that I have only looked at and wondered "who on earth would eat that?"


Rambutan was the latest test taste on my part.  Dr J peeled them for us.  I tried one but it is pretty tasteless and the texture was like a lychee.  Personally, I don't bother to go through the work.  I'm sure this fruit has special magic powers but I'm not there yet.  I still think pomegranates are too much work for too little taste.  (Who eats just the seeds of a fruit???)

I digress.  About a year ago Dr. J had some medical issues similar to Crohn's Disease which his father had and his son does have.  Horrible stuff.  My sister set herself on an internet search to see how life might be altered by diet and other natural means.  Their plan is called Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD).  VERY strict with no grains.  But after just two months, they both noticed a big difference in how they felt and their energy level.  And they made the conscious decision to add flesh to the menu.  Still mostly fish but for Thanksgiving she baked a turkey!  

And tonight a giant piece of beef.

I love how they change their lifestyles to better their health.


7 comments:

  1. It's interesting how medical research and food fashion has overlapped in reason years. As much as I try from time to time to eat closer to the earth I will never lose my cravings for beef, sugars and bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh was dinner DELICIOUS! And so soul satisfying. I usually enjoy meat in a side dish size portion ... but last night I ate my share! And I have those same cravings .... although sugar comes through my red wine ...

      Delete
  2. Roast beef with roasted veg - perfect Sunday dinner, with a glass or two of lovely red wine! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a fire in the fireplace. Everything ... people, food and GREAT wine ... was perfect!

      Delete
  3. I want to eat for my health. Really I do. I see January as a big, floating, lifesaving raft for me and my new, healthful diet. :)

    How nice that you got to enjoy such good food with people you also enjoy. I think food taste better when you're with people you like/love.

    I've been reading along, but I'm having trouble commenting on blogspot blogs that don't offer the URL option. So I'm trying an old Google account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a cookbook here at my sister's ... The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook. He also has a blog/website called Slim Palate. When he was 14 he was overweight and decided to eat healthier. Now he is 18 and lost over 100 lbs. Recipes look DELISH! Maybe we could tackle this healthful life together? Encourage each other with more moving around (big weakness) and fewer carbs. Email me?

      Delete
  4. You silly kids! I eat whatever I want and none of it resembles that picture, which at first glance I thought was a Sea Urchin!! I don't eat very large portions, anymore, but if I want cake, I am going to have some cake and ice cream and chips and eggs and bacon. I am old and I am not going to deprive myself of good tasting stuff! La Chiam! (or something like that)

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...