Tuesday, January 14, 2014

MAGAZINES FOR FREE

Did you know the first library is over 5,000 years old and was discovered in Mesopotamia?   But Ben Franklin is the guy I remember who really got it up and running for the US.  I have been in love with the library since I learned to read.

In the late 1950's, the bookmobile was a big hit for me.  We were a family of six kids and my Dad drove the only car to work.  During the summer months, the bookmobile would park at the public school a couple of blocks away and we could get up to ten books.  Then I'd climb up the tree and read.  Perfect summer memories.


I've loved watching the library change and grow with the times.  First came magazines to read, as well as books.  Music to take home.  Art you could use.  Movies to borrow.  Books on tape (or CD).   Books for rent (when I just couldn't stand to be a the waiting list!)   Kindle books!

And now magazines!  I was feeling like maybe I made a mistake canceling my magazine subscriptions.  But now I've discovered the library lends e-magazines!  With no time limit (on books ... they used to vanish after a month or so).  Whoo hoo!  But of course, I stayed up way to late last night checking out both Portland and Maui listings.  Hooray also because they are different.

The app that makes this all possible is Zinio and it is FREE!  Hope it works in your local library!

2 comments:

  1. I never thought that libraries could lend magazines. That's a great tip and I'm going to check that out.

    I have fond memories of bookmobiles. My niece, a reading teacher during the school year, started her own bookmobile in the summers with her own vehicle, books, time and money. Kids still love bookmobiles judging my niece bookmobile Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your niece is amazing!

      And I need to visit the library website monthly .... they are getting ahead of me!!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...