Monday, September 2, 2013

SEPTEMBER?

Tomorrow marks four months since my husband died.  Unbelievable.  Part of me feels like it was last week.  The other part of me feels like I have aged ten years.

Tonight I ventured to a dinner party at one of Ralph's favorite places, the home of Carrie and Jim.  Jim is a carpenter extraordinaire.  The first project Ralph wanted at our Maui home was an outdoor shower...and Jim was the man to do it up right.


Which led to a deck.  A sliding glass door from our bedroom to the shower.  And so on.  The guys just seemed to hit it off and somehow Jim invited us over for pupus (appetizers) and wine.  We thought OUR backyard was becoming paradise until we visited his.

Long story short, we've been over many times and finally met his now fiancee, Carrie, and we all became friends.  Carrie retired last year and moved to Maui to enjoy making her dream of running a Bed and Breakfast on Maui come true.  Today, September 1, 2013, is the grand opening.

I was hesitant to go.  It might be awkward.  But then I thought, hey!  I AM The Awkward Widow!  So I went and had such a wonderful time.  Several of the same old crowd.  A new potential friend.  A lead on a part time job.  But best of all, the love of Carrie and Jim prevailed.  Never an awkward moment!  

It looks too good to be true ... that's a saltwater pool in the background. I sat in that rattan chair on the far right.  A wonderful steak dinner followed by coconut cream pie.

Ralph was definitely there.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being able to enjoy an evening out. That's what good friends do...they keep you from feeling awkward in an untested situation. So many widows turn down invitations early on then wonder later why invitations quit coming. So glad you went!

    Their bed and breakfast will no doubt be a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Kali's Cottage has a two night reservation scheduled for mid-September!! They listed it on HomeAway.com. I kinda wish I could afford a mini vacation there ... and it's just five miles from home!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...