Tuesday, September 3, 2013

SERENDIPITY

Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; a fortunate mistake. Specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it.

I believe in this. It happens to me a lot!

My grandson (and my daughter) are arriving on Maui next Wednesday. Braeden gets to stay for a whole month! He loves the water and I thought swimming lessons during his visit might be a great thing. Both fun and educational.  I began asking everyone here. Two names kept popping up so I scrambled off an email to each. Neither has an opening until January. Maui has several community pools but the closest one does not have a learn to swim program (kinda unbelievable).

Last week at the beach, after their morning paddle board session, my friends/neighbors, Bob and Paula, saw a woman who looked like she was teaching someone to swim.  Paula went over to chat and by golly, she DOES give swim lessons.  She had moved to Maui the day before!  She provided her website and her cell number for them to share.  Today I got around to calling her.  Although she hasn't found a pool where she can teach, she is confident that a protected shallow beach area would work just fine.

I'm going to meet her for coffee on Thursday.  During our phone call, me finally finding her website, her new Facebook page and a couple of emails .... it turns she has lived in Oregon and spent a few years on Whidbey Island, Washington and appears to be a true mermaid.  She looks very similar to my sister in law!!  Although a few years younger than me, we might just hit it off.  With both of us starting new lives.

Maybe I will take swim lessons when I return from reluctantly returning Braeden back to his parents.

2 comments:

  1. I love the word 'serendipity' and those happy accidents that the word describes. Giving swim lessons to your grandson is a great idea, too. Everyone should learn and a whole month would be long time without some structure and goals. Enjoy your grandma time and the time to bond with a potential new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one week from today!

    I also found a Batman "big wheel" tricycle as my neighborhood is flat and has sidewalks. Having him will jump start my exercise program! In addition to trips to the beach, I have a kiddie pool here that I set up in the shade of the back lanai, so that kid can play in water whenever he wants! He was here when he was 18 months and again for a quick visit this past March which proved my theory that water really IS a magnet for little people! As well as geckos and Poppa's Buddahs and the outdoor shower ....

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...