Sunday, August 25, 2013

You're NOT Having a Funeral? Really???

Ralph and I have talked about funerals, celebrations of life, memorials, ash spreading ceremonies, cremation, etc. for many years.  We don't want any of that.  Maybe in the past these ceremonies were necessary for closure or for notifying distant acquaintances and family.  I'm not sure.  But just like being buried in the ground is becoming less popular, maybe the parties are also.

Anyway, I respected his wishes.  But I'm still getting called on it.  Despite the fact my sister wrote a fabulous obituary, I did not place it in any newspapers.  Only on Facebook, his favorite news outlet.  Also in emails that I sent to those who are not using Facebook.  


"The sun has set on the man who adored sunsets all around the world. And all around the world are people whose lives he touched and who touched his. Ralph was an amazing man, husband, father, Poppa, uncle, colleague, friend. His contagious smile lit up any room and ensured he never knew a stranger, from neighborhood children to restaurant servers to CEOs. He made you feel as if just seeing you made his day!  Ralph shared his "useless knowledge" and "Ralph-isms" with so many who were eager to be part of his world. 

He will be missed deeply by his best friend and wife, JB, his children Janet, Mike and Kate, and the light of his life, grandson Braeden.


There won't be one of us who will see a sunset without feeling Ralph in its warmth and beauty. Aloha, dear friend!"


6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    I've read through all of your blog entries and David sounds like he was a wonder man and friend. I'll bet he'd be very proud of you, for how you're dealing with widowhood. It's not easy and we all have to do it in our own way and time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most important thing I have learned is exactly that. We all have to do it our own way and in our own time. I really loved the article by Ashley Davis Bush, Grief Intelligence: A Primer.

    Everything IS normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINK to the grief article:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ashley-davis-bush/dealing-with-grief_b_3716013.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great grief article! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in complete agreement. Every relationship is different as is every loss. Many of us are very lucky to have a warm and loving circle of friends and family to help us come through the pain and sadness. I only hope that we are doing the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are! I love that every one keeps in touch!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...