Thursday, August 29, 2013

CLOUDS, COSTCO and CARWASH


Well, I had a few sad memory moments today.  Doing ordinary, run of the mill errands.

Ralph LOVED clouds!  Every day, every single day, he would comment on the cloud formations.  He took photos of clouds.  He learned about clouds.  And he would always share about clouds.  Naturally, I enjoy clouds because they remind me of him.  Yet I miss him rattling on about them.

Maui is lucky to have a Costco location ... and they sell gasoline!  I am in the habit of driving into “town” (Kahului ... airport, cruise ship destination and lots of shopping) once a week (at least).  An island doesn’t offer a lot of road trips but I do manage to use half a tank of petro every week or two.  And despite that this is a household of one, there are some items I prefer buy at Costco for the savings.  So I get those items and gasoline.  

Costco was one of Ralph’s big retirement treats.  He loved gathering samples and talking me into buying a 25 lb bag of pistachios or 18 cases of yogurt or whatever we could rarely eat all of.  He was in charge of choosing affordable bottles of red wine, which we enjoyed every evening.  (I’m continuing this tradition!)  So I always think of him when I go into the wholesale store.

Last and most important on his list of bi-weekly to do's ... a car wash!  It’s a good thing it is pretty private inside the spraying and wiping and whirling.  By the time the car was sparkling, my tears had subsided.


I sure miss this guy.

2 comments:

  1. Big box stores must be a guy thing. My husband loved them, too, and would always buy everything by the dozen whether it was practical or not.

    Who would have thought a car wash could trigger a tear fest, but I had the exact same experience the first time I went to one after Don died.

    Enjoy that wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Coincidence?! Buying in bulk and crying in the carwash??!!! Very interesting!!

    And if you need any toilet paper ... I have a billion rolls ....

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...