Saturday, August 31, 2013

HIGH TECH GRAMMA

I admit it.  I love technology.  It started with the very first Apple computer in 1981.  Although I spent years with PCs, I made the switch to Apple products about ten years ago.  My life is so easy because all the gadgets talk to each other and sync any information I might add to one of them.

Today, for the first time, I paid to get some help.  In the past, I learned stuff on my own or via One-to-One sessions at my local Apple store. Unfortunately, Maui does not have an Apple store.

Huey spent several hours making my webcams visible on my network as well as from afar.  On my computer, the iPad or my iPhone.  Spycam Gramma!!  Now if the motion sensors notice something, I get an email with photos taken every second.  (We had to initially set the cameras up inside ... we forgot the ceiling fan was on ... I got 79 messages in pretty short order ...)

Background information ... I bought one camera a year ago and must have spent hundreds of hours trying to get it to be motion sensitive.  Proudly I did get it to work remotely.  But even after watching YouTube instructional videos, even after setting up a gmail account, it would NOT alert me.

Now I don't feel so bad.  It took Huey a while also.  We signed up for an inexpensive web hosting site and a camera DVR site and a gmail account (even my expert could not get things working with my icloud account).

While things were loading or syncing ... he also set up my wireless backup system and transferred Ralph's 10,000+ photos to my computer AND backed up all photos.  

TGIF!


2 comments:

  1. Me too! Although I was kinda proud that my genius struggled mightily. Now I would recommend others buy a prepackaged system and NOT try this at home! Foscam is good but WAAAYY too complicated for we novices.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...