Friday, August 16, 2013

The First Step

Me?  A blogger?

A girl needs a hobby!  Since I'm in love with my computer and technology and talking, it seems a good fit for now.  Plus I seem to have a lot on my mind these days.  And a willingness to write it down.

My wonderful husband of almost 29 years died on May 2, 2013 after a two and half year battle with prostate cancer.  The medical world was so optimistic that we would have YEARS, as well as quality of life, to enjoy but in January we learned the cancer had spread to his bones.  He tried radiation which did help reduce the pain, but ruined his quality of life.

He tried his darnedest to get to the finish line on his own schedule. The Person upstairs had a different plan.  When Ralph stopped eating and drinking in order to rush things along, I posted on Facebook that if anyone wanted to say goodbye, this was the time.  He was overwhelmed with comments, posts, private messages, emails, texts and phone calls.  The occasional snail mail as well.  From all over the world.  So he rallied!  Hospice arrived a few days later.

And WOW.  Did that perk him up!  We had a fabulous, wonderful two more months.  He finished his journey with his typical midwestern charm and upbeat attitude.  Never one to refuse a party, he died the morning after my birthday.

What will I do without my buddy?

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading your posts for about a month now and just now decided to go back and read from the beginning. My husband passed away in June so pethaps that is why I connected to your blog. We are about in the same place in our grief journey. I also like technology. I am 52 and I'm raising three kids who are in high school or college. Missing my buddy too. Thanks for blogging so I can be a reader! P.s. I got my replacement hat the other day and wore it on s walk! Thanks for the referral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks. I need a friend ... sad to have such a horrendous thing to have in common. You might also like to blog. Even if just once a week! My email is jb97034@gmail.com if you want to be penpals as well!

      It IS what it is. I'm sorry to hear you lost your hubby at such a young age. Can't even imagine.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...