Monday, August 19, 2013

Really? You're asking me that?

There used to be a TV show called "Kids Say the Darndest Things."  It featured Art Linkletter asking cute young children questions and recording their precious comments.  The show was funny and charming and light hearted.  I loved it.  I wish it were still on air somewhere.  (Tell me if is it!!)

"Things People Say to Widows" is not cheerful or helpful or even very kind!  Some days it takes all my energy not to just smack someone.

My sidekick, Ralph, was 18 years older.  On paper, that sounds like a LOT.  In reality, we were evenly matched.  Several friends/acquaintances have recently asked me why I wasn't more "prepared" for him dying first since he was so much older.  Really?  He didn't die of anything old age related!  He died of cancer.  People get cancer at any age!!  He could have been smashed by a city bus while the driver was texting (I was kinda thinking about the settlement from the city and the mobile phone company in that scenario!).  He had JUST retired.  We had at least 20 healthy years to share (if I started exercising).  Good grief!

Another common misconception ... you are lucky, since he was sick for so long, at least you knew it was coming and had time to prepare.  Really?  Nothing could have "prepared" me for the death of the most charismatic, bigger than life spouse I had.  Although I guess he did give me a list of his passwords.  




The most awkward of all?  Hey!  I've got a few guy friends I need to introduce you to.  

Really?






4 comments:

  1. For the life of me I can't figure out why people try to fix up recent widows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Maybe we just look so broken?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you see the pitch coming, you may prepare to be hit but it hurts just as much nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janna. I don't know why it's comforting to know that this kind of stuff is NOT specific to me! We widows must stick together!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...