Sunday, August 18, 2013

Level II AWKWARD

The day Ralph died, our neighbor rolled up in his wheelchair with his typical expectant look.  This was his morning tradition for the past two days when Ralph got a hospital bed facing his beautiful lanai for his scenic journey.  With tears in my eyes, I nodded that yes, he had gotten his wings.  Tom asked for a hug and then whispered that I should now dress more like a lady and wear a little make up.

Tom had a stroke 15 years ago and is 89 years old.  Speaking is difficult for him and he sports hearing aids in both ears.  Having a conversation with him requires 100% concentration.  

Still, I was a bit taken aback.  Really?  Of course I do dress in Hawaiian sweats (baggy cotton capris and oversized t-shirt).  Lately I had been crying so much (in private, of course, so I didn't interfere with Ralph's joie de vivre) that it made no sense to put on makeup.  Maybe Tom had a point.  If I look cheerful, maybe I can manage cheerful.

That was an awkward moment.  Unfortunately, it was just the first of many to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...