Monday, September 14, 2015

WHAT MONEY CAN'T BUY

While I think about my finances more than I ever have, I know I am better off than so many other retired folks, especially my parents.

My Dad worked construction and had to take early retirement due to arthritis in his back.  They still had one kidlet left at home so my Mom went back to work for a few years.  I believe they lived on $1,200 per month from Social Security.  My Mom was on a million prescriptions which was a financial burden and eventually I contacted all of the manufacturers and got her meds delivered.  My sister paid to have a house cleaner come in every other week.  They shopped at Aldi's.  The most remarkable thing?  They NEVER complained!

All of their six kids did what they could.  One brother came to visit every week on his lunch break, often bringing a pizza or Subway sandwiches.  He would change a lightbulb up high that they couldn't reach.  Another visited each Sunday, usually taking them out to dinner (when they could still get out).  All of us would buy them restaurant gift certificates, or new glasses, or a dental bridge or whatever they would not have the $$$ to spend.

So why could they always be so happy while worrying about what would hit them next?  Because they realized there are so many things that money can't buy.


They so enjoyed family, friends and their church.  They remained active by making crafts to sell at the Golden Hobby Shop, pursuing individual hobbies (Dad was  THE gardener and Mom an artist), volunteering at church and for many, many years ... hosting the family gatherings.

Neither of them attended college yet they had more common sense than any world leader I can think of.  As I read the list above ... my Mom and Dad had every single one of these traits.  And money didn't buy them.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had great parents. In many ways they were typical of others from their generation. They went through tough times early on and really appreciated life and their family. Worked hard and followed the rules of life. Love your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were pretty remarkable! I sure do miss them ...

      Delete
  2. Not only did you have wonderful parents, but what I thought as I read this post was....your parents had wonderful, caring children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, they did raise a half dozen productive citizens. Not one of us is in prison!!

      Delete
  3. #11. Gratitude for the oodles of gifts that Money Can't Buy. So glad your parents passed all 11 down to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I am very grateful! Now to remember that when I face tough times!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...