Friday, August 15, 2014

NATURAL WONDER

Whidbey Island is a wonderland of nature.  We have not seen very much sunshine but we've seen a lot of Mother Nature's family.  Blue heron.  Eagles (yes, plural ... including babies in nests).  Mussels.  Starfish.  An owl.  Deer.  Breathtaking each and every time.
Not a great photo, but not bad for through the windshield

Each day we visit a different tiny town and do a lot of browsing and a little shopping.  They have been vacationing here for 20+ years and many of the shop owners remember them by name.  Just friendly and outgoing.

We have been eating like kings and queens, both in and out.  Janet and Jonathan are very very healthy eaters and great cooks.  He grilled eggplant and salmon last night while she stir fried kale with mushrooms and shallots.  Accompanied by avocado drizzled with a bit of balsalmic vinegar.  For my part, I do the dishes.  And make the coffee each morning while they are out on an hour's walk.

Breakfast of leftovers made into a hash, with yogurt, figs and fresh picked blackberries...and an egg laid by Miss Henny, my Portland buddy's chicken.



Today we went into the wilderness up to Deception Pass.  Great state park with a nice little walk.  Then on to Anacortes at the tip of another island, Fidalgo.  Stopping on the way back at Ebey's point with another little walk to see the old cemetery ... some from the mid-1800's.  They have learned about all the most interesting spots during the past two decades.  Lucky for me!

Tonight we just got back from a gourmet dinner at Oystercatcher.  Incredible food.  Tomorrow a farm-to-table fundraiser for helping the Whidbey farmers.  Just one more day.  

I think I might have to bring the little family for the next 20 years.  Perfect place for kids to be outside all day long.  Puzzles and games in the evening.  Collecting sea glass and rocks.  And making memories.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, I'd need to pig out at a bakery after vacationing with people who actually eat healthy with each meal. LOL But a vacation where someone else does all the cooking would be heaven.

    I'm glad you're having a great time. Sounds like a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly enough, I was NEVER hungry! Their idea of a fabulous dessert is a teeny piece of exquisite chocolate. I think it turns on the "sated" button. I even tried ginger pepper chocolate!

      Delete
  2. It sounds divine, all of it: the sightseeing, eating like a king and especially the memory making. I had to stop in the middle of reading this and do a search for grilled eggplant. I found a nice salad that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just sliced it into rounds, olive oil and roasted garlic, and served as a side dish. Mr. Ralph did not care for eggplant but now I think I do!

      Delete
  3. The place sounds divine. And the food, yummm. I doubt that salmon you're eating there is farmed - wild salmon is so much tastier! Glad you're having a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh wild salmon IS the best. I'm allergic to shellfish but they enjoyed copious amounts of mussels and oysters for me. Mostly as a side dish so I could share their salads and entrees. I love eating "family" style!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...