Sunday, November 16, 2014

ENTERTAINING 101

Whew!

I'm starting this blog BEFORE my guests arrive.  Because I need to sit down and rest!  My plan of action always takes a few days ... planning, cleaning the house, getting the groceries and then cooking.  I like to have entrees that are make ahead with only a few last minute things to do.  So I can enjoy the party as well!

The table setting turned out better than I had planned.  Who knew a single carnation would look so good with sprigs I cut from my front yard.  Lots of lights and then candles at the last minute.



Dinner got pushed back until 7pm as Jody had to meet with a VIP at her wine department.  Remember when nothing started before 7pm?  Now, a lot of the time, the invitation is for 5pm!!!  I sometimes look at these meals as a late lunch!

It was fun, interesting and delicious!  Part of "Entertaining 101" is the table.  The other part is the food .... and how you  talk about it, as well as present it.  I could have said fish, vegetables and potato.  Starting out with nuts and olives.  But when you call it walnut vinaigrette salmon, oven roasted colorful vegetables, Marcona almonds and Kalamata olives ... just sounds so ... gourmet!

Kerry ended up not feeling well enough to attend but he sent the most wonderful curried squash soup.  Gary brought an old time, long in the family, home made spice cake (I kept a piece and had it with my coffee this morning).

Conversation was lively.  Fire glowed perfectly.  Lots of wine glasses used.  And finally had to ask Jody to leave at 11:30!  Success!


8 comments:

  1. Your table looked great! I love your hanging light fixtures and your menu sounds like a tasty, healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was delish ... and a little on the healthy side! I'm thinking casserole next time ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean stole my comment. Your colorful table is very pretty and inviting. I like how your light fixtures compliment your chairs nicely or vice versa.

    Like you, I have a plan that begins a few days before company arrives. When the kids come for the weekend, I like to have some things prepared ahead of time. That requires planning, shopping and cooking a few dishes ahead. The only difference is that, with three kids, I clean after they leave instead of before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love table settings. It's the Martha within ...

      Delete
  4. Sounds delish! Glad the wine and conversation flowed into the night. Sign of happy guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mix of friends worked splendidly. As well as lots of really really good wine ,...

      Delete
  5. The table looks wonderful and the food sounds wonderful as do the guests. I'm so glad you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was worth the effort. Tonight I was invited over for Hungarian mushroom soup. We had a great time! It was fun being the "baby" of the group. What a wild foursome we were. I think I'll host a Sunday Soup Supper next week!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...