Saturday, November 8, 2014

MY FRIEND GEORGE

When his wife, Pat, passed away he couldn't even come to her funeral ... he was having heart surgery.  When he got settled back at home he said "there isn't any way we could just meet for coffee once a week, is there?"  And thus our friendship began eleven years ago.

He thought maybe we'd run out of things to talk about but we still haven't.  He got a little miffed when I went back to work part time.  But managed to drive out to meet me for lunch once in a while and we invited him over for dinner and parties. In fact, he was probably 82 or so when we played charades at a New Year's Eve party.  He and I were partners.  He got down on all fours sticking out his tongue ... Night of the Iguana!!!  Heck!  I don't think I could get up off the floor at 62!!

He and Ralph had lots of fun also.  They bought season tickets for the Opera and enjoyed a night out once in a while.  He had a gal pal for many many years and we were sometimes his accomplice.  We invited them to the beach overnight and were convinced to tell them there were not enough rooms so they would need to share.  We thought it was two queen beds but unfortunately, it was one king.  He was ecstatic with all the snuggling!

Once Ralph retired, he would often go with me for our weekly visits which somehow morphed into lunch.  When we bought the Maui house and then were blessed with Baby Braeden, I had to cut back on our visits.  This year we went back to morning coffee at his Retirement Living tower downtown.  But not every week.  Health issues have been a nagging concern since about June.  I should have paid more attention to our lack of email and phone calls.  

After a month long stay in the hospital for pneumonia and congestive heart failure, he is now in a nursing rehab facility to gain his strength.  He's mostly in a wheel chair to get places and needs help getting in and out.  His daughter (my age)(who moved back from Boston when her Mom became more frail) lives about 40 minutes away and since her Mom's death, has been spending weekends with him ... grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, etc.  With enough meals to last the week.  She even made up sandwiches for the week!

Tomorrow they are moving GrGeorge to assisted living at the same complex.  I hope he gets his mojo back!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are his friend. He needs one now more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I'm volunteering with the villages movement. Intergenerational friendships! Braeden loves GrGeorge!

      Delete
  2. This is the toughest part of life. A good friend means so much. I hope he does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this is going to be tough on Mr. Independent. He participated in several activities EVERY day. When he would tell me about his day, I'd have to go take a nap for him!!

      He bought himself bongo drums for his 90th birthday! He is VERY musical. I hope we can band together and keep him busy and occupied now that he won't get out and about so much.

      Delete
  3. What a good friend you've been over the years. I hope George has a few more quality years left to share with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I need to make more of an effort to visit frequently.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...