Friday, May 2, 2014

SURVIVAL STATISTIC

Today is the one year mark since the death of Mr. Ralph.  

Yep.  The day (actually 7:30 in the morning) after my birthday.  The six of us "rock stars" had a pizza and wine and pastry party all around his hospital bed.  

They brought balloons that we tied to the hospital sides.  He didn't say a word, of course, but I swear he was smiling!  He was never one to miss a party.  I'm so proud of our friends for just being normal the entire journey of his death.  Lots of touches and conversations ... he was a touchy, feely, hugging kind of guy.

Every morning I would get a text asking how things were going.  When I finally had to say those dreaded words, all four of them came over to be with me.

We set his balloons free ... off his pride and joy back lanai in Maui.

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to know what to say about our sadiversaries and the fact is there is nothing we can say that really helps. So just know those of us who have been through them, too, understand the mixture of feelings you're experiencing now. Hang in there, it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... just knowing others have survived. We each have our own way. I feel like I'm already putting my loss in a little box so I can go ahead and live my life .. just take out my box when I need it.

      Delete
  2. Support from friends/family when we have such a loss is a wonderful thing. I hope this year brings continued healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part I need the most is for those around me to be patient with my wild up/down feelings. I tell Kate each day but not sure how to let those not as close to me know ... it's ME, not them! I know it's irrational. Nothing is logical with grief!!!

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you as I near my one year mark too. Simply can't believe he is really gone, yet I know he is gone. Weird huh? Not a fun year that is for sure. But we survived...and "it is what it is". I still wear my hat on all my walks!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...