Tuesday, April 9, 2019

AWKWARD WIDOW's FAVORITE THINGS

These items are new to me.  If you've known about them for years ... why didn't you share?

I think I heard about this shake-on seasoning from the Clark Howard website.  People are buying this up at the retail Trader Joe's store and then re-selling it online!  Yes, even Amazon is selling it.



My favorite bagel IS the "everything" bagel ... with cream cheese or even just with butter.  Imagine my delight when I bought this!  My morning breakfast most days is a 60-calorie slice of Killer Dave's many grains/seeds bread with half an avocado, a generous sprinkle of this and topped with a slice of turkey or an egg or just a slice of tomato.  YUM.

I think I first read about the next Trader Joe item in the NY Times.  Although it does have 29 g of carbs, I don't eat all six dumplings at one meal.  Yesterday I simmered chicken bone broth with carrots, celery, onion and amino acid (like soy sauce only better for you) for hours.  I thickened it a little, added some shredded cabbage (couldn't find bok choy at two local stores) and spooned it over three dumplings and joined the boys at the table.  I didn't think they would want it for dinner but not only did they like the dumplings, they loved the broth!  I had to cook some ramen noodles and give them each a bowl of soup.  And then cook myself more dumplings.



I've also had them just steamed as there is a bit of chicken broth inside each.  Quick and easy and only 250 calories (I think).

Finally, a rather new (2017) local brewed product.  The son of a friend no longer drinks alcohol but soda options were all very boring for adults and many are just too sweet.  Shrub style drinks went out of favor with the advent of refrigeration, but these people have revised them for the 21st century.


These have no added sugar and, believe it or not, have vinegar as an ingredient.  I'm hoping they will come up with some herbal sodas as well.  I think they are off to a great start.  (Still high in carbs but less than a Coke).

I am very picky when it comes to yogurt.  Mr. Ralph would eat a carton of Yoplait lemon yogurt for breakfast every morning.  Along with a toasted English muffin with honey, some fruit if I would put it together for him and a big mug of coffee.  When he was ill and losing weight so quickly, I kept trying to find full fat yogurts.  I discovered Siggi's.  Now I like yogurt!

Plain old vanilla.  I like the non-fat but they do have many flavors in full fat.  I try to keep a carton or two in the fridge but the other cooks in the house keep using it!  Smoothies, waffles, with granola on top, etc.  Now I keep one hidden on the bottom shelf way in the back.  

Are there any foodies out in blog reader land who have some favorite food or drink ideas?  Chime in!



5 comments:

  1. I get on streaks where I might like something to death for a couple of months, then I move on to something else. The only thing I have tired of is Starbucks Veranda blend in the morning. Another I never tire of is something I have maybe once a month, if that often, is a rib eye steak marinaded in McCormick Grill Mates brown sugar bourbon pack.

    That dumpling soup looks boring to me. We won't be fighting over that last cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Starbucks Komodo Dragon but usually get French Roast at Costco (3 coffee drinkers here). Jesse makes cold crew for me (SOOOO much less acid in the morning).

      We go on streaks here also. I like steak once a month!!! Mostly we have hamburger ... the boys love spaghetti or Mexican night. Kate recently made a cheeseburger casserole topped with hash browns/cream of chicken soup/cheese. Kids are not fans of casseroles but they both had seconds!

      Delete
  2. i used to be hooked on Potato Chips, then all of a sudden the taste for them was gone and now it's Chex-Mix--the bold kind. I never liked Oreos, but a month ago saw the MEGA stuffed ones and now hooked on them.
    Oh..wait. Where you talking about "real" food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still addicted to potato chips. Can't eat a sandwich without them! LOVE Chex Mix but like the homemade version made in the oven. Thank goodness the boys don't like it yet!

      Delete
  3. I used to listen to Clark Howard all the time when my father was in the nursing home. I visited him every day and it was a long drive. Clark Howard was my guy. LOL

    I put the Trader Joe's Sesame Seasoning Blend on my list. I'll get it the next time I go there. It's on the other side of town, and I don't go over there that often. I just found Killer Dave's bread recently. I eat open-face sandwiches with it. Sometimes I mash up an avocado with a little lemon juice and garlic salt to put on it, and sometimes I make egg salad. I like to have that for lunch with a small salad.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...