Tuesday, April 16, 2019

THE 24 HOUR DATE

These parents almost always prefer to have their boys join them.  I'm not sure how a date night was chosen last week, but they had a Dr appointment in the late afternoon and several errands to run.  The boys had no school Thursday and Friday (teacher conferences).  Of course I said YES and they were going to return to put the boys to bed and then go to a movie ... but my guys are big boys now.  We can handle bedtime just fine.


The kidults puttered around for an hour before leaving and finally the boys said "please just go, guys!"  So we could start our fun!  I had been simmering pork chops for dinner and then decided I had to make it into something more kid friendly.  I baked some potatoes and made a salad bar.  Gosh was that a big hit!  Homemade bacon bits and just about everything you could imagine, all in tiny bowls to add to salad.  The boys set the table and asked for candles.  I got out sturdy wine glasses for our water and made garlic toast to accompany the salad.

After salad, we played a little more while the potatoes finished.  I cut little pats of butter and put onto a plate with a teeny tiny fork and let them serve themselves.  They were perfect little gentlemen.  They got to add their own ground salt and ground pepper.  After we were finished, the two of them took everything (all those little bowls as well) into the kitchen.  Braeden did all of the dishes!  First time!! Deacon wiped off the table and the chairs (the dog loves this part!).  And the living room was spotless.  I was pretty proud of them!

We watched part of a movie then they did their nightly routine and snuggled in promptly.  Because the next morning ... the three of us were heading to McDonald's for breakfast!  So the parents could sleep in.  Braeden helped Deacon get dressed and they were super cute!  I should have taken pictures.  Long sleeve tshirts under short sleeve tshirts and sporting ball caps.  Just the cat's meow!



After a gourmet morning meal (first time I've ever had their coffee and WOW!  pretty good), we went to the big Walmart and looked at toys and clothes.  Yes, I let them each spend $10 and it was the longest decision making process ever.  Brubba, you get this one and I'll get that one and then we can play.  Brover ... we have one that is almost like that ... look at these Halo guys.  And so on.



It was still pretty early (10am) so we went to the Mall .... to the Lego store.  Spent an hour there (dreaming) and left via Cinnabon for the drive home.  By now it is almost lunch time and at breakfast they discovered the toy in the Happy Meal were teeny tiny beanie baby animals!  To kill a bit more time (and so the parents didn't have to rush and make them lunch) we went to the drive thru.





Happy little clams and so excited to open their action figures and play.

Gosh are these parents loving me!  The best part for me?  I only said "hurry up" once in 24 hours.

4 comments:

  1. How great this was on so many levels. Love that these guys are being taught how to eat at fancy tables while they are young. So many young adults feel awkward when they encounter fancy tables when they didn't learn how to use tiny forks and butter pats of butter kind of stuff. Not only are the adults having a date night, so are their boys.

    You are such a good nanny-grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that Deacon is older, I can manage so much better! They love pretending ... and I love playing restaurant! We did that at home for my parents. Happy memories all around

      Delete
  2. Love this post for many reasons. How clever you were with the food and leaving the choices up to them. I know they loved that, and how sweet they were to help with the cleanup. And a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time for sure. I just love watching them grow up even if I'm not ready to be pushed to the background. It's happening already! When Deacon is tired of me, he suggests "Gramma! You want to go in your room and have quiet?"

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...