Thursday, April 25, 2019

THE MORNING

Now that I am retired and not responsible for anyone or anything, I love having a leisurely morning.  I usually start with a mug of cold brewed coffee (strong and less acidic) that I warm in the microwave.

First on my reading list, email followed by blogs.  Next is the NY Times digital version where I see all the horrible things that are going on in the world.  Often I read the local paper online but their slant on things is SO ridiculous, I don't stay there very long.

My indulgence is Facebook where I can see family and friends, get updated on their kids and grandkids, unfollow those who complain and whine constantly, and have a good laugh.

Typically on weekdays Mr. 5 is up and quietly playing.  I offer him some breakfast followed by his "latte" ... warm milk with a splash of vanilla topped with whipped cream and a different color of sprinkles every day.

I catch up on Scrabble, Letterpress and Boggle as well as a crossword puzzle.

Since last week, I have a magical scene from my chair.  My Lover of Animals daughter has stepped up her game in caring for the birds.  She makes her own suet, has a feeder with thistle and a feeder with native Oregon no mess seed and of course a hummingbird feeder.  Plus suet.  


She lures the squirrels away by having her cigarette break across the parking lot and  feeds them peanuts.  This new feeder set up has a great anti-squirrel baffle on the bottom part of the pole.  When we hung things in front of our dining room window, in the trees, the squirrels overcame every obstacle ... once chewing through the wood of a suet cake so it dropped to the ground.

Mind you, she had treats for the squirrels to entice them to stay away from the feeders.  A large mason jar on it's side attached the the underside of the stairway above us with peanuts and corn.  A corn cob holder with corn.  Which they gleefully devoured, but they were insatiable and have invited their entire squirrel population to join in the fun.

Part of my new fun is watching them TRY to get to the treats on the new bird feeder.  So far ... no success.

P.S.  Yes, I am waiting to hear from the HOA that we can't have it ....






3 comments:

  1. I love watching squirrels at the bird feeders and so does the dog. His discourages them more often than I do. We have a black one this year for the first time. I'd like him to stay around, Levi doesn't.

    I'm surprised that your daughter smokes. I always had this picture in my head that she and your almost s-I-L are health nuts.

    Oh, yes, the lovely HOA probably has rules against feeding birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! A black squirrel? Special!!

      They BOTH smoke like chimneys. Fortunately, the walk across the parking lot so we don't have to smell it. One of the owners only visits a few times a year, so I asked permission to set up our outdoor folding chair (with side table) in his parking space. And Braeden earns screen time by cleaning up the peanut shells there once a week. It's great to have a carport in the rainy season. I sure wish they would quit ....

      Can't wait to hear from the HOA ... especially as we didn't put it close to our front patio like everyone else. One other person has a feeder in their side yard and the Chair LOVES them so probably won't make him take his down therefore we won't have to take ours down.

      Delete
    2. If bird feeders aren't mention in the rule book, how can they tell you you can't have them?

      The black squirrels don't usually share the same territory as the brown squirrels. If one color moves in,the other moves out. The blacks are bigger and very shiny, beautiful. They've been living as close as a mile away so I was thrilled to finally have one in my yard. Never had that before.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...