Tuesday, April 23, 2019

IF IT WERE JUST ME

I love living with three generations of me.  It gives me an opportunity to stay up to date with children and what they like to do and I am proud to watch my kidlet raise wonderful people.  Her relationship with her mate has blossomed with respect and fun, as well as sharing household responsibilities.



My 10x13 room is my serene zone.  The rest of the condo is busy and filled with stuff.  My room is filled with stuff also, but everything is grouped and in containers.  The walls out there are packed with photos and more.  The fridge and freezer are covered with kid art, schedules, vacation magnets, etc.  I have become my father by insisting on my own special chair in the living room and beware those who put things on it!!!  Must have my coffee and computer time (unless both boys are home and then it is just too noisy ... they know how to use Alexa and they love to sing and dance).

But ... if it were just ME living here ...

The microwave would always show the time, not 11 seconds left to cook.
The toilet seat would be all the way closed.
The entrance would not be filled with many pairs of shoes, slippers, boots and flip flops.
The lights would be turned off when the room was not being used.
The vegetable bins in the fridge would be cleaned out before things got slimy.
The bathroom exhaust fan would be off when not necessary.
The microwave would be sanitized weekly.
The wet towels would be hung up.
The dirty laundry would be in a hamper.
The bathroom sink would be cleared after each person got ready in there.
The toothbrushes would not stay in the shower.
The mail would be brought in every day.
The mail would be opened the same day.
The ice cube trays would be emptied and refilled.
Things would be returned to the same spot they were found.
The shower button would always be turned off.
The grocery list would have items written on it BEFORE I ran out.
The toilet paper roll would never be empty.
The cream would never contain 1/4 teaspoon of cream.
There would always be potato chips in the pantry.
The TV remote would be kept in the same place, up high away from the boys.
My iPad would always be charged.
The gas in my vehicle would never go below 1/4 tank.
If a package arrived, I would always hand it directly to the recipient.
The dining room table would be tidied up every other day.
The printer would never be without paper.  Or ink.
Burned out lightbulbs would be quickly replaced.

But despite all these tiny little annoyances (and many more), I cannot imagine life without them.  I don't think I want to be alone again.  I'm a better person with a team and I'm proud I'm flexible enough to not sweat the small stuff.

8 comments:

  1. I could handle all of that IF--I had my own bedroom, bath and kitchenette. Somewhere big enough where I got away and have peace and quiet with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I can't take the noise of the little ones anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really would LOVE a private bathroom! I don’t need a DO NOT DISTURB as they all respect my privacy ...

      Delete
  2. ha! ha! I'm single and I have to admit that I like your list and do almost all of them. Still, when you live with others, you learn to adapt. Good for you on being so flexible and willing to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Communication and compromise are the key, I think. IF something bothers me a lot ... I will bring it up. And they do also!!

      Thanks for reading AND commenting!!

      Delete
  3. So many of your petty annoyances are everyone's petty annoyances of living with others. I would not like going back to sharing a bathroom and all that entails. But you are doing such a great job of making the most out of the multi-generational living arrangement and the trade-off in love and affection you get in return makes it all well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all compromising, I think. By the time they are teenagers and invest in hair product .... I think I will need my own studio apartment! Or a case of Depends.

      Delete
  4. Interesting to read your list — gives me food for thought should moving in with my children be a consideration, though only one youngster in one household and a young adult in the other one. Sounds like adapting to the situation is working well for you. Having become used to being alone since becoming a widow over ten years ago, am not sure how well I would adapt. Having my own space and some time for myself would be important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids and grandkids are SOOO respectful of my alone time. And I don't wear my hearing aids at home so when I'm in my "apartment" I rarely hear much of anything! Otherwise it might not work. You are right .. I need my alone time!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...