Tuesday, April 2, 2019

GRATUITIES, TIPS, SERVICE CHARGES and DONATIONS

A week or two ago I took myself to a late lunch (after meeting with the young lawyer who is updating my will).  It was Happy Hour there and I had two small plates and a beer!  I just couldn't decide between the two, so I got them both!  I could only eat half of each but the combination just hit the spot.

I usually tip in cash as I know servers aren't paid minimum wage.  This can work to their advantage as I tip well for good service.  When the bill came, I was a bit taken aback.




Granted, $0.35 is not going to ruin my entire budget.  BUT ... a service charge?  Why not just up your prices a bit?  I surely do not get it.  And then a line for DONATION?  In addition to a tip?  Wow.  Based on this, I think I'm more in favor of NO TIPPING and paying restaurant employees a wage based on their abilities.  

Tipping in many countries is frowned upon.  Tipping under any circumstance in Japan may be seen as rude, because good service is standard and expected.

China - Typically, nobody tips in China.  I had a 90 minute foot rub for $1.50 and gave him a $3.00 (US Dollars) tip and my friend was outraged!  No more tipping for me during that trip!  

Hong Kong - Tipping in Hong Kong is not common either, and as in Japan, may be seen as insulting. A 10 percent gratuity is also built in at most restaurants.

Switzerland - Swiss federal law dictates that all services charges be included in published prices, so there is no obligation to tip people in the service industry--servers, hairdressers, hotel porters, etc. 

Australia - Tipping in Australia historically has not been the norm. Tipping in hotels, hair salons, bars, and taxis is also not expected, but it's normal to tell someone to keep the change.  Some of the restaurants larger cities are adding a line for tip though 10% is the going rate (last time I was there)

Belgium - Like in Switzerland, service staff are well paid, and tipping is not required because bills include the service charge. 

Brazil - Tipping in Brazil is generally not expected. However, tourists often tip small amounts for taxi and porter services, and restaurants will sometimes add a service fee to the bill, but it is not mandatory to pay.

And these are just countries I have visited.  I think New York City larger and/or more exclusive restaurants already are doing this ... and no one is going out of business.

What do you think?






8 comments:

  1. I wonder if the 'donation' line is for when they are doing a fund raising for a certain cause like Jerry's Kids or Cure for Cancer. They do that around here a lot and I find that very annoying. No matter what the cause they are getting the tax benefit for donations using our money instead of their own.

    My mom was a waitress and she hated tipping because it wasn't the best waitresses who got the best tips. According to her it was the flirty ones with big boobs.

    I tip $3 whether my bill is $5 or $20. The come to the table the same number of times. I rare go anywhere that the meal is over $15 because I drink water and pick up Starbucks on the way home because coffee in restaurants is such a crap shoot and I don't drink pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think if they were fundraising, the waitress OR the receipt would mention to whom it is going. I donate directly myself because I like the tax benefit also.

      I tip % unless it is a low priced diner. I agree with your Mom ... charming personalities (and maybe looks) garner more.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I agree that the restaurant should just up their prices to include a service charge if it goes to employee benefits. In seeing the Donation line, my take on that is that you are donating more to the service charge category but who really knows. I don't think it's the same as the tip which goes to the employee serving you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! 2% on a $10.00 cheeseburger would only be $0.20 and I'd much rather pay that than have a "service charge". Glad it's not just me who feels annoyed with this practice. We already have these add ons with hotels, airlines, rental cars ....

      Delete
  3. It may be the donation line is just part of their software and when they are doing a fundraiser they do advertise it around the restaurant. Here, it's not unusual to be asked if you want to donate to someone in the community who lost their home to a fire or something else going on, need for a kidney, funeral expenses for someone who lost kids in a car crash.

    A 2% service charge is outrageous on food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's NOT that much, but irritated me beyond belief. I hate tacked on pricing ... like air fares! And hotels. I'd rather know I'm paying $100 and nothing extra rather than advertising "only $80" until everything is added on .... and renting cars there are SOOOO many add ons!

      Delete
  4. I don't like the practice of tipping or service charges. Employees should be paid a decent wage for the work they do, and customers should pay for it in the price of the food. That way everyone knows what they're paying and what they're getting paid, and a hardworking server never gets stiffed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wait staff should insist! Jesse was a waiter at National Restaurant Chain and I can't tell you how many times he had a group of 20+ with coupons, separate checks and ran him ragged with can I get a side of this and a small portion of this and an extra plate and more bread .... and left NO TIP.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...