Thursday, April 18, 2019

RERUNS

My husband did not like leftovers.  I hated wasting wonderful home made food.  After a few years, I finally learned the best way to enjoy leftovers was to wait a day or two and somehow doctor it up.  Beef stew?  Made it into stroganoff.  Spaghetti?  Served chicken parmesan on top.  And so on.



We have so many leftovers at this house, we have to "date" them.  My feeling is that once a food is opened or prepared, the fridge shelf life is 5 days.  It's too hard to remember when something was put in especially if it gets pushed to the back. I probably score more often than not, the kidults don't really eat lunch!  Once I make sure they aren't planning on using them that night, I have a nice warm lunch.

Now my grandsons don't like leftovers!  One day last week we had so many yummy items already cooked, I talked to the parents (the one who was cooking that night ... they take turns) to see if I could make a menu and let the boys each choose WHICH leftover they wanted!  Big hit.  Sometimes you just want a choice?  And accompany their choice with a veggie assortment.


I got out some small mason jars to use for glasses.  This was going to be an old fashioned diner.  Used kerchiefs for napkins.  Gave them each a BIG fork coz we don't cater to young 'uns (try explaining young 'uns)



No one chose the instant macaroni and cheese!  Braeden got to learn a new word by sounding it out (accompanied).  They especially liked the dessert CHOICES and Momma (the waitress) said they had a couple of specials for dessert that weren't listed on the menu, did they want to hear those?  Popsicles, vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt tube.

I have more fun than they do!





4 comments:

  1. People who won't use left overs annoy me so much! Either learn to cook the right amount or eat the left overs to keep all those kids in China from staving to death. LOL All kidding aside, do we really have a right to waste good food? It physically hurts me to go to someone's house and after dinner see them throw the left overs in the trash.

    I really love what you did with the menu as a way to get the kids to eat left overs. My God, I'd would have starved to if I refuse to get left overs. They were served every Friday growing up and I get take out boxes almost every time I go to a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse tries to cook for just 5. He buys ground meat in bulk then weighs out 10 oz and wraps individually. Sometimes I choose different foods. Sometimes the boys eat a LOT and sometimes they don’t.

      We are doing way better than just a month ago. If the boys are extra hungry, they get to have toast! Which they love.

      Delete
  2. The menu is such a great idea. Most choices are made for kids. They love it when they are empowered to choose. I think it gives them confidence, too.

    A couple of weeks ago, I checked up on the safe date for most types of meat and chicken leftovers in the fridge. Most sources said 3 to 4 days, but I agree with 5 days. I've never had a problem with anything in my fridge that was eaten by the 5th day. We should date things, too. We both like leftovers, and we usually eat them in plenty of time, but sometimes something gets shoved to the back of the fridge. I usually choose not to eat it, but H usually plays Russian roulette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you ... better safe than sorry! I do a lot of sniffing as well as the date! I hide some of my things in the very back ... so I know they will still be there! My Siggi's yogurt, cream cheese, Persian cucumbers ... sneaky grandma!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...