Thursday, November 26, 2015

TURKEY DAY 2015

This is my first Thanksgiving all on my own.

My FIRST unrainy sunset this trip ...

It was MY choice to leave Oregon before the holiday as airfares were a LOT less expensive.  I procrastinated contacting Maui friends to try to get included in their plans.  Friends flocked over on holidays the year that Mr. Ralph died.  I didn't think to invite folks over to Maui this year.

Going out for a dinner or buffet for $$$$$ didn't grab my attention.  So I cooked for just one.  I lit candles (well, turned on my flickering battery operated ones).  Weds afternoon I made Ree Drummond's three bread dressing (even made my own corn bread!)  I bought a 3/4 inch slice of Primo deli turkey and let it sit in my homemade mushroom gravy overnight (made fresh stock from my Costco chicken carcass).  Right before dinner I tossed a green salad with fresh dressing and roasted my ten Brussels sprouts with walnuts.  All accompanied by Prosecco!  It was fabulous!  And so selfish to only make MY favorite things.

Lucky for me, my local grocery had half of a pumpkin pie.  So far, just one piece missing .... and I ate that for lunch!  Dessert first!!

P.S.  I had enough turkey, stuffing and gravy for FOUR more meals!!!  

6 comments:

  1. One nice thing about cooking a big meal is you have dinners to freeze for later on. My mom was a working mom when I was a teenager and I helped her every Sunday cook a couple of large dinners for the freezer so I don't associate doing do with widowhood. Hope you enjoyed the process of doing Thanksgiving. I didn't do stuffing and gravy but I had all the rest of the traditional stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having an instant home cooked meal on hand. It's really a must when cooking for one. So .... what all did you have? Turkey? And????

      Delete
  2. I sounds delicious and not even unhealthy, and now you have leftovers. I have no leftovers, the one disadvantage of not having Turkey Day at my house. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very enjoyable. And I even dressed up a bit! It was delightful ... although the conversation was clearly one sided.

      Delete
  3. Sorry I didn't post a comment on this yesterday. I was just so depressed I couldn't. All better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, my friend. Been there. Done that! SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!!!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...