Sunday, November 29, 2015

BECOMING A FOSTER MOM

I have a lot of time when I'm in Maui.  

I love socializing with people of all ages and for now, I volunteer with Na Hoaloha, Neighbors Helping Neighbors.  Earlier this year I worked in the office helping with computer things.  Still missing the younger crowd but I have three adorable "Grand" kids next door (8, 10 and 12 this year).

I've decided I could be a foster mom ... for a dog!  I will meet with the Maui Humane Society this Tuesday morning.  IF I pass my interview (I do have a few references from dogs I have watched in Maui ... Baxter (part Corgi, part Border Collie) who lives next door and Mercedes (part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua).  My neighbor friend, Julie, has Jodie (Havanese) who enjoys my company and coming over with her Mom, but I haven't had her all on my own.  Yet.  Stay tuned! 

This idea struck me as the perfect way to have a pet without the lifelong commitment.  Not that I think I will be traveling much (just back and forth to Portland), but I wouldn't have the boarding expense.  They also take care of any vet bills.

But my canine expert daughter is concerned.  That I will fall in love and want to adopt my foster dog.  Apparently that is NOT a good thing!  It is called a Foster Failure.  Something I will have to discuss on Tuesday.

P.S.  I will have the added incentive to WALK more!

2 comments:

  1. Not all foster dogs are long term, so you might resist falling in love. Some just have medical needs that require more time than they have in the humane society and when they get better, you turn them in for a new foster. That said, I don't think I could do the foster for more than a few weeks per dog for the very reason your daughter worries. Let us know what they say when you interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this. I'm interested to see how it goes and what you think after your interview. I can understand you daughter's concerns, but maybe they will not all be long-term. I'm not sure if that would be your choice or not. Let us know how it goes on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...