Saturday, September 20, 2014

I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW ....

Yesterday I finally found my computer glasses.

The past few months have been awkward (I love fitting that adjective in) while working on the computer as I have to take OFF my glasses and increase the font on all pages.  The distance to monitor is too close for my trifocals yet a little too far for naked eyes.  The red computer glasses are just right!

My handy dandy optometrist said I need cataract removal on the left eye in a few months.  Which poses the question of having a permanent contact lens inserted.  She also suggested that I have distance lens in one eye and reading lens in the other eye.  This just sounds pretty awkward to me!  Do any of you do this?  Is it possible that your eyes will work together in this way?

In the meantime, IF I have the permanent lens in one eye, the right eye has another year or more before it is bad enough for insurance to pay.  SO ... does this mean I have glasses with just one lens?  Or do I try (for the umpteenth time) to wear a contact in the other eye?

Mr. Ralph had one eye done with the permanent contact lens.  He had worn contacts for 40 years, so wearing just one wasn't a problem for him.  Except when it came to reading in bed.  He needed reading glasses for just one eye!

My snorkel mask is optically adjusted.  I will need to get a plain one after the surgery .... or maybe a computer-distance prescription?  Goodness ... it's always something!



6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of having two different lens put in after cataract surgery. Maybe it's a new strategy? Whatever the case I'll be interested in following your decision because I'll be facing it next year. I do know insurance usually covers new prescription glasses afterwards because everyone needs them....except my husband could go without glasses for the first times in 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards both eyes being for distance ... reading glasses like the rest of the world ...

      Delete
  2. This is interesting. I would guess there would be an adjustment period. Decisions, decisions. I have computer glasses two. I get the cheap ones, but they work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of computer glasses until the guy at Costco asked me if I used the computer at all ... since my whole life is staring at my lap .... are they just reading glasses at the right distance?

      Delete
  3. I didn't know they made computer glasses!!! I never heard of that cataract process either. I know I will have to have it done and scared to pieces. I cannot stand anything in my eyes--no contacts, no drops. EGAD!! That time is not going to be fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, Judy ME TOO. I can (finally) use drops but not very often and I have to do it myself. They are going to have to put me all the way out ... I can't even THINK about it ...

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...