Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Book of Ralph

After 26 years with the company, Biamp Systems, Mr. Ralph retired in 2010 on his 76th birthday.  Yep.  He LOVED what he did so he “never had to work a day in his life” ... one of his many (many) infamous sayings.  Not only did his family and friends hear these Ralph-isms a million times, all the employees at Biamp did also!  In fact, for his retirement gift, the Marketing Department spearheaded a collection of his most repeated philosophies into a coffee table book entitled “The Book of Ralph.”  

Mr. Ralph hailed from the heart of the Midwest, Indiana.  He was an only child, as he was born in the depths of the depression when having a child warranted condolences rather than congratulations.  His mother’s obstetrician suggested he be born at home as the hospital in their small town was prone to drafts along with airborne germs.  It was a very humble beginning.  He excelled in school and in sports.  His Dad owned a brake and alignment center that also sold gasoline.  So Mr. Ralph had a job from the age of 10.  He learned that good old midwestern work ethic from a young age.

I have a copy of The Book of Ralph.  In the storage unit in Oregon.  Fortunately, Biamp had two extra copies which they presented to me when I visited Portland shortly after his death.  I was unable to meet with his friends in person while I was there, but I did manage to meet with my buddy Dayna, the Human Resources VP, and her two wonderful teen daughters for lunch ... on condition we didn’t talk too much about him.  She mailed me the books.  Now I have one here in Maui that I can peruse at my leisure and share with friends who may never have met him.  And Kate now has one at her house.

I cherish this book.  And I kinda miss him telling me he was “busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest” ....


1 comment:

  1. What a treasure to have! And what a colorful guy you must have been married to that his co-workers could put together a book like that.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...