Monday, October 21, 2013

A MILESTONE

This week I have been able to say Ralph's name, talk about him, as well as discuss all my indecision about life ... without crying!  I didn't think I'd live to see the day.  Almost always I tear up (and even choke a little) when people ask me anything about him or life without him.  This is such a GOOD thing.  I want to talk about him and hear others memories.  And laugh about him!

The sunshine has been out in full force in Oregon since I arrived.  It's just a tease as the horrible cold wet six months is on its way.  Having lived here for 30 years, I still remember to embrace every sun break because they are so fleeting.  July, August, September are Oregon's best weather.  Ralph and I would leave our island paradise to enjoy the best of the best in Portland.

I'm seriously thinking of investing in waterproof comfortable walking shoes, a mid calf rain coat with hood (instead of umbrella) and some gloves.

And moving back to the mainland for a while.

5 comments:

  1. I have one of those long raincoats with a hood and flannel lining. I like it so much better than using a umbrella. I started using it when I started pushing a wheelchair and he held an umbrella over himself. I always stated drier than he did.

    Is your move to the mainland going for good or just temporary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, just caught the "for a while" at the end of your sentence. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is just temporary. I'm going to rent the Maui house so I have the flexibility to change my mind. Maybe when the grankidS don't want to hang around me so much ... they WILL want to come to Maui!! Such ulterior motives.

    YES! Grandbaby number two arrives in March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a memory for ya - but you have probably heard this one so many times, it'll be a dud.... One of my favorite stories of all time came from Ralph. Shocking, right?

    It was when I was truly the Little Bird, and he was working on his "prodigy..." I was so focused on the wrong stuff, and he was so amazing - the way he shared so much of his time with me, and really, truly got me on the right path in my job...

    One day, he told me the story about the Old bull and the Young bull. He wanted to get me to understand that I needed to SLOW DOWN and do things one at a time... instead of going willy nilly, great balls of fire, and of control. (We're talking selling here.)

    The Old bull and the Young bull were standing atop a massive plateau overlooking a broad plain. The plains were covered with cows - tens of thousands of cows dispersed all across the plains in front of them. The Young bull eagerly suggested to the Old bull, "Let's run down there and "get" one of those cows!"

    The Old bull paused, looked at the Young bull, and said, "No. Let's walk down there and get 'em all."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ha ha ha!! Mr. Meaney I do indeed remember this story. I hope you ARE getting 'em all!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...