Sunday, October 6, 2013

KAMA’AINA

Kama'aina (pronounced ka-ma-EYE-na) is the Hawaiian language word for long-term resident of the Hawaiian Islands. It derives from the words 'kama', meaning 'child', and 'aina', meaning 'land.'

In reality, it means DISCOUNT!  My short Google of how and when this idea of a discount on goods and services for residents didn’t say when it started.  But I’m glad it did.  I think it helps ease the high cost of island living for people who work and live here.

I finally got my Hawaiian ID so that I can take advantage of the savings.  Although we tried previously, the agency who regulated the IDs was 10 miles from home and did not take appointments.  People were in line at 8am ... and brought their lunches with them!!  Neither of us was willing to invest that amount of time!

Beginning this year, the Department of Motor Vehicles was assigned the duty which spread the burden to many locations.  I had to return to Oregon to get my ORIGINAL Social Security card in addition to all the other proof required.  I did the ID rather than a Drivers License because I’m not quite ready to forfeit my Oregon license.  I’m planning ahead here!  I don’t want to have to take the written test here in Hawaii (yes, the rules are different in each state!) and then try to take an Oregon test when I’m 90 if I return for some reason.  Color me lazy.  Again.

The discount at stores and restaurants varies.  Some establishments do not offer a discount.  Some offer between 10% and 25%.  During September and October, many fine dining restaurants offer buy one dinner get one free!


I just love saving!!

2 comments:

  1. Island living really is different than here in the States, isn't it. You'd think they've have a dual drivers license program, though, for others like you who split your time. Here in my state you must have a state license within a certain number of weeks of living here or you can be fined for driving without a legal license.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most states MAKE you change driving licenses. Hawaii does NOT so I'm safe to keep my Oregon one, whether or not I return to being a snowbird or not. I just have to be back in Oregon to renew it this April. Then I have another 8 years, I think. I'm SOOO glad the State allows homeowners to get the kamaaina discount though!!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...