Tuesday, October 1, 2013

SEVERE ALLERGIES

I think I’m allergic to exercise.  Sweating goes against my nature.  Somehow reaching 61 and dealing with the stress of grieving, my body needs something.  I also have 50 pounds to lose but we’ll get to that later.  I’m still craving my comfort carbs.

Finally, I discovered water aerobics!  In Maui, this is something I can do every day. Outside.  Chlorine OR salt water.  A few weeks ago, I timidly went to the community pool, just half a mile away (yeh, I know...no excuses really) and watched a class.  Mostly older ladies, a token few older menfolk, and unfortunately, several younger, firmer ladies.  Three days a week the class is held in deep water, three days a week in waist high water.  I like the deep water the best ... it keeps my legs busy constantly trying to keep my head above water.  Kinda like real life these days.

The best part?  I met another widow friend who has always wanted to start exercising, and starting in the water is the best thing for these old joints.  Now I have an exercise buddy to keep me committed.  Denise prefers the shallow water class ... now I have to do both!


This could be the start of something good!  Beginning in November ... still got the almost 3 year old here.

3 comments:

  1. I took water aerobics for a year or so to lose weight for an upcoming knee replacement surgery and afterward for therapy for the new knee. It's a great way to exercise. I'm glad you found a buddy to make it easier to stay committed. I just couldn't drag myself out in our Michigan winter to get in a pool so it was hard to stick to it. You don't have that excuse. I liked the combination of both deep and shallow. Some of the classed here do both in the same class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh. I know ... no excuse of getting dressed, donning a coat and hat, swimming, drying off, re-dressing and donning a coat and hat ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't miss reading my reply to you about the hearing aids on my 'old people' post.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...