Sunday, October 11, 2020

SUNDAY, SUNDAY

I prefer the tune Monday, Monday.  In fact, I almost changed my post day to Monday!

Nothing at all interesting happened in my week!  My Mom would have been 93 on Wednesday.  She sure loved Autumn!  Born in October and died in November.  

She enjoyed oil painting and most of her paintings were Fall landscapes and rainy days.  She was a productive crafter and sold her items at a Senior Center gift shop, The Golden Hobby Shop.  And she was an amazing cook!  I got the cooking gene but not the creative gene.

Fortunately we had sunny weather so the boys got in some outdoor time.  We are expecting rain for the next week.  Dad set up all the Halloween decorations and Family movie night features Halloween movies.  I think we are going to make a bigger deal of any celebration to help push the pandemic into the background of life.  Mr B turns 10 on October 28.  He's not a big cake fan so I am going to make an ice cream pie (they all love ice cream). A chocolate wafer crust, a layer of ice cream, freeze, a layer of hot fudge, freeze and another layer of ice cream.  Put some tiny Oreo cookies around the edge and VOILA!  He has chosen vanilla bean ice cream and oreo ice cream.

I keep myself busy with WLLO volunteer work although many of our leadership council seem to be getting burned out.  Most do NOT want to host an activity or be responsible for a new project.  Some are no longer doing much of anything.  Everyone is just getting weary.  We are FINALLY joining with other Portland villages to share our online activities ... seems like each Village has the same challenges.  So if we offer 5 events each month and the 10 other village share their 5 events, we'd all have a lot to choose from.  

Even I am getting cranky.  Others ask me to do an email FOR them (because "you are so good at it).  But sometimes I don't want to do it last minute!  Give me a few days notice!!  When I do send an email invite, people text me or email me a minute before the event wanting the link!  HELLO???? I just sent it to you last night at 5pm ... sort your mail.

My new project is to try to get instant closed captioning on our Zoom gatherings.  For FREE!




 

5 comments:

  1. I think those Willo Villages need at least one paid employee to organize and inspire the volunteers, plan and keep things on track. That's the way our senior hall works and they've been wildly successful until the pandemic came along. They've lost 400 of their members since it started.

    The ice cream pie sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have only had ONE member not renew. There is no money to pay anyone. A few Villages got big donation to have a fulltime office person. I need an infusion of enthusiasm also!

      Delete
  2. "Weary" is the right word. I think it's going around. It may be more contagious than COVID-19.
    Sounds like you had a good and talented mom. I still miss mine.
    That ice cream pie sounds yummy and not too complicated. That's the kind of recipe I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all so weary of this 7 month life interrupted period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ice cream pie sounds delicious and relatively easy to make! I think we all need to pump up the celebrations with this whole virus mess. I'm not one to usually enjoy Halloween but I find myself wanting to go and buy a few inflatable decorations and set them up outside (I won't but I do enjoy others who decorate for it). Any child/parent brave enough to go out trick or treating will find candy here as I'll be passing it out wearing a mask and gloves :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...