Thursday, October 29, 2020

BINGING ON SUPER NANNY


Super Nanny has been on TV since 2005.  When we had TV, I would accidentally catch an episode here and there.  It is amazing (to me) how many parents think discipline is a dirty word!  Most of the kids are rude, disrespectful hooligans and their parents are afraid of them. After two weeks with Super Nanny, it's a whole new happy family.  The show is refreshing to watch as no one dies, gets shot, or other gruesome things so it is fun to watch in the evening with my wine.  


Recently, Facebook was sharing some of her episodes.  Now I am hooked.  Again.  We recently traded HBO Max via Amazon to direct HBO Max and there are many seasons on there.  Also on YouTube.


The Kidults here recently instituted a "schedule" for the boys.  (The FIRST thing Super Nanny does) Just on a steno pad page, written in pencil.  The boys LOVE it.  They know what is happening when and Mom scheduled in lots of exercise/play time.  Yesterday I watched them for a few hours and right after lunch ... they went to Acellus for some lessons!  Without being asked.


While watching Super Nanny's techniques, I've incorporated a few of her great ideas.  They don't really want more "stuff" they want us to play with them!  When just Braeden and I were up the other morning, I asked if he wanted to play a memory game.  He went to get one when I said no way Jose, I have a new version.  I got a cookie sheet and we each gathered up six items to position.  He'd close his eyes and I would remove two things.  Then my turn.  We got too good at that, so whoever was removing items could rearrange all the other items.  Then we would remove three.  Then four.  By then we had memorized them all, so we each got 8 more things.  I don't think I will get dementia living here!


I also asked the parents to each play WITH the boys for 15 minutes (or more but WHO could say no to 15 minutes) a day.  The boys were so excited when I asked if anyone wanted to play with me!  Deacon immediately went to his room to get a board game.  (Ever try playing Monopoly with a 6 year old????). Let's hope we stay this involved because those youngens are eating it up.


The boys each got two more chores as well.  They accepted with glee!  So amazing.  Our dining table/school desk is a dropping point for everyone entering the condo.  SO MUCH stuff on there that has nothing to do with eating, Acellus or art projects.  Now, every night after dinner, on even days one boy puts non essential items on the owner's pillow.  Then wipes it down.  The other boy does odd days.


The shared bathroom is also getting wiped down every day (maybe they will aim better?) with the same even/odd plan.  They also make their beds every day, put away their own clothes and empty the dishwasher.  Next chore to turn over to them is folding towels!  Super Nanny has 3 year olds doing it.


There is always so much to learn!




4 comments:

  1. I've seen that show before. It always amazes me how little a lot of parents know about raising kids and spending the time with them that it takes to teach them stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And at 68 I am still learning new and useful things! I worked at a private school, preschool to Grade 6 and was SHOCKED almost daily by what parents would say. "He doesn't have time for homework! Do I make him practice tennis at school?"

      Delete
  2. You living in that house is the best thing that ever happened to those grandsons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, it's the best thing that a 68 year old widow could do! Today Mom's art project was making a night light out of a mason jar ... they each had a theme, used rocks and toys and clay to make everything else. One has a solar light and the other a string of teeny tiny lights with a battery switch. I have fun here every day!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...