Tuesday, September 10, 2019

THREE THINGS

What is that saying about bad news comes in threes?

Last week my best friend's husband was terminated from his job of 27 years.  Age 63, with just two more years til retirement.  No warning, no reason, no saying goodbye to coworkers.  No more access to his office (to clear out things) unless after work hours.  Ageism for sure.

The same thing happened to Mr. Ralph when he was 49.  It was devastating.  He was fortunate to get a one year's salary as severance.  He took it as an opportunity to change himself.  Stopped smoking.  Lost weight.  And began looking at employment outside the box.

The next day I learned my Uncle had passed away in Ohio.  Retired Captain of Columbus Fire Dept. Preceded in death by daughter. Survived by wife of 70 years, (my Mom's sister) his 7 children Cindy, Chris, Cathy, Mark, Lisa, Tracy, Dan. 16 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren.  My obituary will be pathetic ... one daughter and two grandsons.  We always had Christmas celebration at their house. Warm and cozy and delicious.  The wonderful thing about this family is how often they still all get together!

Last and certainly not least, my dentist visit.  Remember that tooth pain I was having while the office was closed for a week of vacation?  A crown (previous dentist) has a little ledge just below the gumline that traps stuff where it can sit and turn nasty.  New crown coming up soon.  Then three others that have reached their time limit as well.  


I'm ready for a day like You Gotta Wear a Hat


4 comments:

  1. We know what you'll be getting in your Christmas stocking ...new crowns. Yuck!

    Sorry about your uncle passing. It sounds like he has a wonderful family who will miss him greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your uncle's passing and your teeth. What a wonderful legacy he left behind with being able to be married for over 70 years! Don't sell yourself short since you have 1 daughter and 2 grandsons! That is a great accomplishment in itself and the fact you all can live under the same roof and still be friendly, is a great feat in my books! Thank goodness for dentists. We all don't enjoy going there but they do a great job keeping our teeth running, no matter what the cost may be.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences on your uncle's passing. Job elimination isn't fun. It's a shock when it happens to you, even when you know the corporation is downsizing. I went through the same thing in 2012 but luckily worked for a large corporation and was able to get another job at a grade level higher for the same corporation before my termination date. The corporation gave us 60 days with pay to do whatever we needed to do to find another internal/external job.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...