Thursday, September 26, 2019

LET's GO TO THE MOVIES!

My first monthly movie group with WLLO Village, Flick Friends, was Tuesday.  Yes, we went to see Downton Abbey.  I loved the movie because I loved the series and watched them all on my computer, without commercials or waiting a week between episodes.  (And then I watched Upstairs/Downstairs ... the 1970's version of the haves and have nots that has over 50 episodes). 


I volunteered as a "friend" to take Shirley.  Shirley is a full time member who schedules her max of three rides a week EVERY single week.  She didn't have a service request available to go to the movie.  I figure if I'm attending a WLLO activity and live close to another member, carpooling is good!   Especially because this theater is in a boutique shopping complex with no enough parking.


Shirley is VERY frail.  She takes two inch steps while holding her tiny triangle shaped walker that weighs just 7 pounds.  But she still can't push it.  Her driveway has a moderate incline so she waits in her garage, then the driver has to hold/steady the walker with an arm behind her for support.  It takes about 5 minutes to get from garage to the car.  Then another 5-10  minutes to get her situated and buckled in, collapse walker and stow in the back, then try to back onto her very curvy somewhat busy street.

Fortunately, I remembered you can buy tickets and reserve seats online!  Shirley wanted to arrive at the theater an HOUR before the show in case there were long lines.  That problem solved.  I decided to use valet parking, so she wouldn't have far to walk (shuffle).  No valet service during the day!  I pulled to the 10 minute curb in front of the theater where it took the entire ten minutes to get her out of the car and up onto the curb.  Another member walked over and agreed to help Shirley into the lobby so I could park the car.  Whew!

Once I got back to them, other members had shown up so they speed raced (compared to Shirley) to their seats (we had coordinated the seating).  Shirley kept asking "how much further" as we painstakingly walked to the fourth theater on the right.  When we arrived, to my chagrin, there were FOUR steps up to our row (the layout showed only one row so maybe they changed theaters).  I got her situated in the handicap row and the other member sat with her while I went to the ticket office to change our seats to the handicap row.  Oh, sorry, the ticket taker hurriedly said ... they are all reserved today.

When I explained about my buddy, said ticket taker informed me about an elevator (walk back down to the lobby, go up, walk down four theaters on the right) and we could sit in the nosebleed section.  We decided to be bold and stay right there until a ticket holder showed up.  SUCCESS!  Not ONE person sat in that whole row.

Shirley and I critiqued each movie trailer (do they now show 30 minutes of these??) and would give thumbs up or down if we would like to see them.  She enjoyed the movie immensely with no bathroom breaks (I was kinda dreading that).  The others wanted to continue the day by enjoying a coffee together but I could NOT do Shirley in and out and over .... not one more time than was absolutely necessary.

All in all it was almost a 5 hour day to go see the movie.  

So ... back to the drawing board about choosing movie theaters.  I'm always concerned she will tip over so I don't want to leave her alone for 10-15 minutes while I park the car.  Or maybe I could ask for a volunteer to meet us and they could just sit and talk while I park.

Suggestions?  I'll take anything into consideration!

4 comments:

  1. We had a similar situation in our movie and lunch club. Ideally you might see if you can borrow a wheelchair from your complex and use that instead of depending on her walking in the movie house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be the next step for Miss Shirley. But then we probably wouldn't be able to drive her ... not sure I could lift a wheelchair into my car.

      I did take a friend via wheelchair to a doctor appoint from her rehab facility. Hard to push (she was 200 lbs) and it was hard to collapse and VERY heavy.

      We are going to discuss her situation as Governance Council and see what we can do.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the wheelchair but I looked at your comment and it could be difficult to get it out of the car. Wonder if the movie theater has one that could be borrowed to transport her in and out. Good for you though for going the extra distance to get her to the movie and good for her for wanting to still get out and do things!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really had a great time. She gets up early every morning to shower, lotion, and get dressed up. Everything coordinates from earrings, bracelets, rings, shoes and purse. Full make up including lipstick. I feel like a hillbilly next to her!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...