Tuesday, September 24, 2019

IT'S JUST A SIMPLE CALENDAR ... right???

So WHY did it take up my whole weekend?



The WLLO website (wllovillage.org) has a public calendar and the volunteer who was updating it previously has a million deadlines at the same time of the month.  So I said I could be taught to do it.  Little did I know!

Thankfully, we now have an amazing spreadsheet for volunteers to put things that they would like to see on the calendar.  Any of us can access this on our shared G-Suite drive (in the cloud).  I can add something at the same time as someone else and both items are on the spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet asks for

     Name of Activity
     Description
     Date
     Start Time
     Stop time
     Repeats? (several of our events are set on a specific day of the month ... 4th Tuesday is my Flick Friends move of the month, for example.)

     Location with address
     Who is welcome


Then 

Since I'm new(er) to this organization, I need a bit of hand holding (actually, just fill in ALL the questions!)  I have no idea what an Action Team Meeting is and who is invited?

It is super easy to sort the WHOLE thing by date.  You see all those "marketing channels" listed above in green?  EACH one of those SEVEN destinations requires a different format!

The newspaper (Pamplin) only wants to hear about the OPEN TO PUBLIC items, of course.  Our website wants all of them.  Email goes out to all Members with all activities except business meetings.  Facebook gets all activities and I have to enter Facebook and write up each event separately.  I'm too lazy to learn Next Door so when someone asks ... I'll just bob my blond (for a while longer) head ... I don't know nothin' about no Next Door app.

Website guy wants his version in Apple Pages.  Villages NW wants Microsoft Word AND sorted by Organizational Meetings, Outreach events, Open to All and Especially for Members.  Newsletter gets a bit more description about events.  Local newspapers want in Microsoft Word with Activity Title, Date and Time in bold, location in italic.



My eyes are blurry and my head is exploding.  It all got done.  




7 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a better woman than I am. Sounds too complicated to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had NO clue what I was getting into. I think I can add more columns (fun description about event or location). So EVERYTHING is on the spreadsheet. Oy!!!

      Delete
  2. Dear lord. The various formats it needs to be done in would be the killer for me......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent Villages NW and newspaper all 3 formats. They can choose their own ...

      Delete
  3. I'm just confused trying to figure it all out and I'm not the one working it. I will say, I'm not tech savvy at all, but the little bit I've done on Next Door app hasn't been that complicated to post things, respond to messages, etc. But then I don't know all the scope of what you will want to put on it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Village covers two cities and no one from the other city adds to content. I’m voting that someone from there do Next Door!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...