Friday, October 5, 2018

THE GLAMOUR OF TRAVEL .... not

Last Wednesday I left Portland, Oregon to travel to New York City for my youngest nephew's wedding.

Luckily I had miles to spend instead of cash and splurged to go First Class.  I'm one of those people who plan ahead as far as possible, so I made reservations in March.  There were no nonstop flights but I was just happy that Alaska Air could get me there!   We were routed through Dallas with just one hour between connections, which makes me nervous because that is one big airport!  This would be one eventful trip.


In June Alaska emailed me to say there had been a schedule change ... now I had a FOUR HOUR layover and instead of arriving during daylight hours (5:00 pm) I would arrive at 9:34 pm.  Somehow it's just scarier doing the unknown in the dark. 

The trip started off on an odd note.  We had to walk outside for a block or two (it was covered and not raining), then up a switchback ramp.  I haven't not had a jet bridge since I flew on a private plane 25 years ago.  It was an unnerving way to begin my 7:00 am flight.

The plane was way smaller than I was expecting.  A commuter jet size holding just 56 people plus crew.  For the first time, the airline enforced it's rule on two pieces of carry on.  So many had to check their bag at the plane.  (Or maybe that was the fliers' goal ... free checked bag and first bags off?)   First class was one seat on one side and two seats on the other.  The carry-on storage on my side was too small to hold my suitcase but fortunately, there was room across the aisle. Luckily it was a smooth flight but gosh did I feel for the attendants.  Not much room to maneuver!  

It was not first class food or utensils.  No champagne or mimosa offered.  Clear plastic cups and plastic fork and knife.  I had to ask for a napkin.  Who would pay that extra $$$ to fly First Class?  After traveling Business Class several times with Mr. Ralph, this failed to fulfill my expectations.  

We got to Dallas whereupon I learned it was NOT the big Dallas Ft Worth airport but the Dallas Love Field.  Small.  And Alaska must be new to the airport as they had just a few gates.  We had to sit on our plane for 45 minutes waiting on one.  While waiting, the a/c system snowed on us everyone once in a while.


As my four hour wait was ending, Alaska announced a delay in departure.  One hour.  Then another.  Then another.  I went to Starbucks to drown my sorrows ... they were out of blueberry scones...when I got more indulgent and ordered a chocolate chip cookie ... they were also out.  By now I'm tired and crankier than normal.  Hmpphhhh.

Finally arrived at LaGuardia after midnight, cabbed into Manhattan (without being mugged or being a victim of SVU) and actually fit my two bags into my tiny palace and was asleep by 3:00 am local time.



Oh yeh.  The glamour of travel.





5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. GOSH! I would have had a nervous break-down or some sort of break-down that would have brought on tears and shouting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was enough to convince me to NEVER fly again ... unless it is nonstop. What a waste of a day!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you blogging again. Now, I have to add you back in my feed so I don't miss your posts.

    You are brave to fly, but I know you've had much more experience that I have in that area of life. Hope you enjoy the wedding. That's a great opportunity to see everyone in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worst flight ever. Although Mr. Ralph had way worse experiences. Must be a percentage thing ...

      Delete
  3. I’m on my way to Orlando for a training in copywriting endorsement & certifcation. I have to say I’ve never had an experience quite this bad, however I fly almost exclusively on AK Air and their service has been, for the most part wonderful. Except for the one time they lost my luggage on my way to Maui for a job interview. They made it right, though. You are one rugged woman.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...