Monday, October 8, 2018

FROM THE SISTER OF THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM

Now a little highlight of the most magical wedding I've ever attended.  It started with this:




Kim is an amazing watercolor (and other medium) artist and she designed and produced this Save the Date card. When I received my "Save the Date" for Kim and Isaac, I was awestruck. All the beauty, color and perfection. I knew she put a lot of meaning in there as well. So Janet asked her …


In Chinese culture, some of the images have really good meaning in general, but also specifically for marriage.
The urns have the character for double happiness on it - a Chinese symbol for marriage. Orange trees symbolize luck and prosperity, plums for love, and lotus blossoms for endurance and growth.
Isaac and I both love owls so I put them in! We also love turtles, moons, and anemone flowers! I put them in as well!
NOW you know the story behind the art!!!

After the longest travel day I can remember, I arrived at the Marlton Hotel.



The teeniest, tiniest hotel room ever.  Chosen because it is very close to my Sister's co-op in case they needed any help.  The room was 10x10 and had everything I needed and especially location, location, location.  Two blocks to Washington Square!



At least there was room for my humongous suitcase and my carry-on!  Here's the view from the front door


The bathroom door wouldn't even open the entire way.  The "closet" was an armoire at the foot of the bed.  And half of that was minibar, safe, etc.

The exorbitant price included breakfast and coffee.  I had avocado on toast with tomato slices and two perfectly hard boiled eggs and a wonderful kale salad with lemon.  Every day!  I need to make that at home.  So satisfying and lasted all morning.

I awoke to a text from my Sis asking if I could run an errand for her.  Since water to our block was OFF from 8:30 until 2:30, I had breakfast and hired an Uber to take me to the Jewish Museum about five miles from hotel.  UNfortunately, the UN was in session and traffic was ten times worse than you would expect.  My drive became a tour guide.  He took me along the East River (pointing out police boats with machine gun armed officers on deck) as well as lots of nannies wheeling prams and an equal number of dog walkers.  Luckily he waited for me and my 5 minute stop and he brought me home a different way, right through downtown Manhattan.  It was a fun way to help out even though the 10 mile round trip took two hours!


It's a bit more expensive to use Uber (or Lyft) than a taxi but it's a lot easier to get a ride.

Next ... the Rehearsal Dinner!







4 comments:

  1. I want to learn to use Uber or Lyft. You are brave to do it in New York City! What an adventure you're on.

    What is that black thing on your bed? It looks like a giant rat or cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha ha ha! My cross body purse! Even holds a bottle of water (main selling point!)

      Delete
  2. Love that save-the-date card: beautiful and symbolic.

    That room may be small but it sure is pretty.

    I've never called an Uber. When my son was in NY, Ubers were not a thing. We took the subway and walked everywhere. Of course, we don't see Ubers around here much. We're in the burbs. Everybody drives their own car. I'm sure it's not the most convenient situation for people who can no longer drive. I have seen a bus that's connected to a specific senior living community. I hope I never have to hitch a ride. :/ Lordy, how I do go on.
    Good to see you here. Hope to see more of you. I know your sister was glad for you help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole wedding week was amazing. Such attention to so many details. Unbelievable!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...