Thursday, November 2, 2017

O'Dark Thirty

Gosh I will be glad when our clocks go back one hour this weekend!
  

Not that the little bit of daylight will last very long.  The two little guys were both thinking I was out of my mind when I got Braeden up to get ready for school at 7:15 am.  But it's still night out, Gramma!  Ha!  Don't I know it!

I used to be a morning person.  Until Mr. Ralph retired.  Then we morphed into night owls and slept in until 8 or 9.  Most people thought we were odd ... that old people get up at the crack of dawn, have dinner at 4:30 and asleep by 8.  We did the complete opposite.  And I've kinda stuck with it.

But it seems I am becoming more like the animals that get up with the sun and go to bed when the sun goes down.  I prefer to get 9-10 hours of sleep.  Getting up at 6:30 am on school days to help out the parents (who ARE late night owls) gets harder and harder by Thursday.  Finally, I asked for Wednesdays off!  Kate has the day off (she has Mon/Tues/Weds off from work) so she can give up one sleep in day.  It felt so amazing to sleep in ... I might just have to get a tiny coffee maker for my little room!

(Yes, I sometimes use rollers!)

Once I am home in the evening, I'm not so good about being spontaneous and going out for dinner.  Last night I was in my jammies at 7:30!  Hoping to stay awake longer than the children.  I had to turn on all my lights and get up and down a lot just to make it til 9pm.

How about your schedule?  

My buddy, Grandpa George, was about 80 when he started to set his alarm for 6:00 am.  My parents also set their alarm clock (7:00 am for them).  They just didn't want to miss anything!  I hope I don't set my alarm for no reason.  Listen to your body and get up when you wake up!!!




6 comments:

  1. I hate getting up to an alarm. And I'm not fond of setting the clocks back in the fall, better for little kids but not for me. I think all us bloggers have this debate every spring and fall.

    My sleep pattern has been all over the map lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's NOT better for little kids either ... these guys don't tell time yet!! There is no logical reason to continue DST. Maybe when we were agri based but certainly not now. Same with schools ... should be year round like other countries. In my humble opinion!

      Delete
  2. I think we should jettison DST. Lots of years with children, work, grad school required early rising. I’ve endulged my late owl tendencies when possible through the years when single, then before kids though had to be early for work. Since I finally retired a few years ago I do so pretty regularly now, consequently I generally sleep-in mornings. Does put me out of step with some activities available now in which I might engage, unfortunately. I like being able to sleep in if I feel like it, so try to make appointments in late mornings instead of the early times I used to seek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I, too, never schedule ANYTHING until 9am! And on weekends (and now Wednesdays) not until later. I love love love my sleep!

      Delete
  3. I'm early to bed and early to rise, like the stereotypical senior. I don't have to set an alarm. My problem is staying asleep. Because of the insomnia, I'm a morning person. I start dragging as the day goes on.

    I can see why the kids feel like they're going to school in the middle of the night. Poor babies. I don't think our bodies are cut out for daylight saving time. Wasn't that Benjamin Franklin's idea so people would work more. I seem to remember him wanting to outlaw shutters so people couldn't sleep late. The sun would pour in and wake them. He must have been an A-type personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a result of this essay, Franklin is often erroneously given the honor of “inventing” daylight saving time, but he only proposed a change in sleep schedules—not the time itself. 3. Englishman William Willett led the first campaign to implement daylight saving time. (from the internet)

      I like the idea of going to sleep with the sunset and getting up by the light of the sun .... just can't leave my curtains open here at condo as people walk by. I did get up earlier in Maui ... no curtain on the west facing sliding glass door. It's so much easier on the body to wake up slowly!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...