Monday, October 23, 2017

SOUP SEASON

Mmmm.  Soup!  It's that time of year.

Unfortunately, my grandsons are not big soup fans, so I've been treating myself to some upscale Campbell's soups.  Soup is a great lunch for me ... or a late dinner when the family is having chicken nuggets and fries.  Portobello Mushroom Bisque with Madeira is my favorite so far.  It's hard to find mushroom soup for eating ... and trust me, I've tried them all.  

I broke down yesterday and made Hungarian Mushroom Soup.  A neighbor/friend had me over for such a creamy delish dish a few years ago.  Portland had a restaurant close who made THE best Hungarian mushroom soup ... and they shared their recipe.   I had tried to turn my neighbor on to my new discovery of Campbell's but she did NOT like it at all.  Marge is a bit older than me and at the time, she still loved to cook.  She is having some health issues now so I felt like I owed her the real thing, especially after getting her hopes up about love in a can.

I spent countless time on the internet trying to find the BEST recipe.  Ina Gartner.  Food Network.  Bon Appetit.  New York Times.  Silver Palate.  I finally settled in on the The Moosewood version with a few alterations.  I used half and half instead of milk, 4 ounces more mushrooms (for my convenience as sliced mushrooms come in 8 oz containers and the recipe called for 12 ounces), half the amount of onion and chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.


I had my first bowlful last night for dinner ... she is having hers for lunch today.  Stay tuned.  Next time I think I will add a few wild mushrooms and a few tablespoons of sherry.

Very yummy!  And I forgot to add a plop of sour cream to my bowl!  Mmmm ... I'm looking forward to tonight!


12 comments:

  1. I do like Campbell's upscale soups, just not the mushroom. I really don't like any mushroom soup. Having gotten terrible sick off mushrooms once I'm pretty picky about any mushrooms that go in my mouth. Just not my thing when I've almost died from them.

    Winter is soup season, though. I'm going to make ham and pea soup this week. Can eat it twice and freeze the rest. I'm not someone who'd ever order soup in a restaurant though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mushrooms are a love em or hate em kind of food. Now I'm thinking pea soup ....

      Delete
  2. Soup makes a great lunch. I've never tried the Campbell's Mushroom Madeira Bisque, or any of their upscale soups, but I will soon. When I wasn't feeling well last week, I reached for Campbell's. It makes for good comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup just does my body good! It's a perfect light meal (unless you add a whole sleeve of saltines ....) Yum!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad it turned out well for you.
    In my humble opinion--mushrooms equal slimy, fungi, that taste weird and as Jean stated, could kill ya. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms! I love every one I've ever met. In Ohio we picked our own morels and puffballs. So delish! IF you like mushrooms!!!

      Delete
    2. Born and raised! Left about age 28. All four brothers still live there ... within 45 of home!

      Delete
    3. I never would have guessed you to be from the Heartland.

      Delete
    4. I'm wondering why not? Corn fed through and through!

      Delete
    5. I think of you as being a sophisticated islander and coastal person and now I've probably debased both Ohio and Hawaii plus Oregon where you currently live. LOL

      Delete
    6. Went to San Francisco after blizzard 1978. Country bumpkin with wide eyes all three years! Learned to snow ski in Ohio but when I got to Tahoe ... the bunny slope seemed like a diamond run. Then Oregon ... we have the ocean, some mountains and high desert country. Perfect! Finally, for our retirement dream ... a tiny place in Maui. Hope I can continue to fake some sophistication!!!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...