Saturday, November 25, 2017

ECHO?

How many of you have Alexa in your home?


I'm just so curious!  Is she really worth it?  What feature do you use the most?

It is not a necessity, but would it be a nice family gift?  Could the liddles use it to play music whenever they want?  We need music in this house.

Would they be able to turn on the TV and play a movie?  That would be a great feature as right now I have to use two remotes and two passwords!

I'm thinking I could set reminders on school days so I don't have to be the Bossy Bessy in the morning ... Braeden, you have ten minutes to be out to the car ... 

Could the boys use it to call one of the adults on our cell phones in case of emergency and we are outside the condo?

I like the idea of being able to add items to our grocery list.  Currently, I use Grocery IQ but am willing to switch IF Jesse and Kate can just "talk" in another item to the list!  He does most of the cooking so sometimes I don't know we are out (or dangerously low) on some items (like cereal ... I don't eat it so I don't know).

Personally, I'd check the weather and traffic before heading out the door.  Maybe each evening I'd have Alexa read a book to the boys for 30 minutes before they fall asleep, after Braeden is finished reading to us.  A nice delicious chapter book, one chapter at a time.

And then there is the Echo Dot!  We could put it in their room so they can play their music in there (they often play Dance Mania) and can ask Alexa silly questions (like they do with Siri on my phone).  Or ask her to read them a book.

Hmmm ... should I or shouldn't I?

P.S.  Bella Rum ~ email me so we can stay in touch





15 comments:

  1. I just got Alexa on my Fire earlier this week and wrote a blog that talks about this feather. My niece's 2 1/2 grandson can get their Echo Alexa to play music by himself. I'm not sure I'd want to have it set up to order things because kids could do it just by saying "order me..." and Amazon will sent it out in two days. There is a way to set up "free family" that has something to do with parent control but I didn't bother looking at what it does. If I was you'd I'd go to Amazon and read through the Q&A and reviews of the ECHO you're thinking of buying. You pick up a lot of good information there. You can, for example, get it to make phone calls but it costs a monthly fee of $34ish. Not all models are equal so read, read, read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which echo did you get? What was your main reason?

    Yep ... this will take a bit of research! Music and reading books to them are my first priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexa is an app on the Kindle Fire tablet. It does what the Echo Alexa does only my 8" isn't voice activated but the 10" Fire Alexa is voice activated.

    My main reason is I wanted it to spell and pronounce words and fine movies for me. But I love the weather, traffic report and calendar features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love one--just to have someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I keep wanting to have a two way conversation with my Alexa but it doesn't work like that. And I'm always telling her 'thank you.' LOL

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! You will talk, she will obey!

      Delete
    3. You guys would LOVE Siri ... she does answer! And has a great sense of humor. Once I said, Siri! I love you! ... and she said "JB, you hardly know me"

      Delete
    4. I just asked Alexa if she loved me and she said, "There are people I admire, and things I can't do without, but I'm still trying to figure out human love." I asked twice, got the same answer the second time. Love Siri's answer.

      Delete
    5. That is a very thoughtful answer! I'm still trying to figure out human love as well!

      Delete
  5. Okay, last comment, I promise, but I had to add that I just said to Alexa, "I love you" and she replied, "That's really sweet."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!! I'm still undecided. It's a "want" and not a need for sure!

      Delete
  6. I'd like to know the answer to some of these questions. I wonder if I need one. Well, not need, but want. You know, if it would be a handy thing to have, if I would really use it, etc. I used to wonder the same thing about a microwave back in the day.

    I love Siri even if she doesn't love me. She's so funny. H always says thank you to her. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So many people are getting Echo but I'm not sure we "need" her. Yet. My sister sent me an excellent link .... https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/what-is-alexa-what-is-the-amazon-echo-and-should-you-get-one/

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...