Thursday, May 7, 2015

JUST ONE MORE WEEK

I return to Oregon on May 20 ... for the rest of the year.  When I return, I will call Maui home year round.  I am so grateful to be able to choose which picture perfect place to call home.

The hard part will be missing big moments in Kate's family's lives.  Yet many grandparents are long distance so we will make the most of it.  They are keeping the office available for my "hotel room" when I do come to visit, which I hope will be 4-5 times a year.  And the boys love Facetime (although Deacon just wants to hug me on the phone).

Life here is ramping up.  I've committed to volunteering with Na Hoaloha (similar to a Village).  My hope is to "adopt" a senior for a weekly friendship as I did on my own in Portland.  It was a fast and fabulous friendship for 20 years.

The best way to meet people is to simply smile.  Then speak!  We met Hanna and Emre at Starbucks a few years ago and I am still Facebook friends with them, and the occasional email.  This also works at the beach (Pam and Carl!)  And of course, right here in the neighborhood (thanks Julie)

The BEST part of heading to Oregon for a long stretch is having some GREAT friends come housesit for me!  For six months!!!  Leilani and Gary owned a home in this neighborhood for several years but due to some major health challenges, decided to move back to Alabama for specialized care.  We met over the big political issue (free roaming cats!) and became close friends.

While getting here is a big challenge, the fact that they have worked out so many details to be able to stay for an extended visit is a miracle.  That was meant to be.  Now I have no worries on this end.

Thanks Maui friends for making my choice just that much easier.  Coming at you Portland friends ... then you must come vacation here at the Kihei Kottage!


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've got your big decision behind you. I can't image how calming that must be to have it settled. What are you going to do with your Oregon condo and stuff? It seems like only yesterday that you were decorating it just the way you wanted it. The older the grandsons get the easier it will be for them to travel for visits and to use tech stuff to keep in touch. Maui has so much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are permanently moving to paradise! I think you will have to sell your place in Oregon "furnished". Glad you have made your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope! I'm keeping BOTH places. Renting the Oregon condo to Kate and family. Same rate that they were paying for 2 bedrooms and one bath ... so it's a win/win situation. They put all my new stuff in storage and are having a garage sale Saturday to sell some of their stuff.

    I will still have the equity for my retirement fund!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND ... the ability to change my mind!!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...