Sunday, May 17, 2015

EXTRAORDINARY WOMEN

Thursday evening I hosted a Summer Salad Supper potluck.  Lucky me, it RAINED so all the time I spent cleaning the deck and furniture and arranging things was for naught.  We ended up eating around the tiniest kitchen island ... not even the dining table (a bit bigger!)

We are the South Maui Merry Widows ... plus one.  I met Sharon at Starbucks many weeks ago when she asked a question about my iPhone.  Hers was pretty new to her so we chatted about making life so easy with just one device.  She is intrinsically beautiful ... almost ethereal.  Close to my age with long gorgeous grey hair.  Very soft spoken.  Anyway ... I wanted to say bye for now and we included her even though she is not a widow.

The food was fabulous (I made deviled eggs and lemonade) and we had Asian green salad, pasta salad, chicken salad, quinoa salad, Frog Eye salad (fabulous ... and I had NEVER heard of it ... look it up!), roasted cruciferous salad and more.  Better than all of that, we had conversation.

Since Julie and Sharon are new to this group, I asked each person to introduce themselves and their stories ... how they got to Maui, how long and how they became widows.  It turned into so much more.  Molestation.  True love.  Unhappy marriage.  Soulmate lives.  Rape.  Spousal abuse.  Aids. Fairytale courtships.  Accusation of murder for a SIDS death.  We laughed.  We cried (well, mostly I cried).  We bonded.

Who knew these ordinary ladies had extraordinary lives.  We are all survivors ... and this evening proved to me that we CAN move on.  From anything.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did have an EXTRAORDINARY conversation for all that to come out in one evening. Glad you found women to bond with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another amazing thing ... since reading this blog, others have shared their stories. People I've known for years! I did not have a clue.

      Delete
  2. Yes we can--move on from anything that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful time. There's nothing like bonding with friends to heal the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great questions to ask. Your new friends really opened up, to tell the unvarnished truth. These confidences are not often shared, so you must have some 'counselor' in you to make them feel safe!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...