Friday, November 27, 2020

ALMOST AN UNTURKEY DINNER

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving Dinner prepared solely by Jesse!

But with quite a few road blocks along the way.  First, he didn't decide to stay home for Thanksgiving until Monday about noon.  I offered to buy a small Honey Baked ham AND a small Honey Baked Ham turkey breast.  A new pop up Honey Baked Ham station opened a few blocks from us.  Kate went online to order but it was the most convoluted non-workable site ever!  She was so frustrated but finally decided to call the new spot.

The phone number on the website was NOT to the local location but one on the other side of town.  I then said just call the location we have always used and I will drive to pick it up.  That location had permanently closed due to Covid!  Jesse walked to the local pop up to order one of each but was told they do not take reservations.  At that moment, the shop did not have turkey but it would be in later in the afternoon.  He and Kate went on their way to get the other groceries, along with 3 million other people.  And stopped back in to learn there were still no turkeys but they would definitely be in on Tuesday around noon.

Jesse walked back over at 12:30 and there were STILL no turkeys!  So he bought the ham and would check back right before closing to check on the turkey.

STILL NO TURKEY!  He then went to three nearby grocery stores and he got the LAST frozen turkey breast!  He thawed it in cool water while he cooked all day on Wednesday!  Sweet potato casserole with toasted pecans on top.  I usually forgo sweet potatoes as they are usually too sweet for me.  But this casserole was a gift from heaven!  Creamy smooth mashed potatoes (the boys did all the peeling).  Best homemade turkey gravy.  Homemade orange cranberries (also terrific and I usually do not eat that either).  He then made a top secret brine and put everything in the fridge (I cannot believe it was possible).

Kate made homemade cinnamon rolls which she baked on Thanksgiving morning.  She made half a recipe and she still had the boys make three deliveries to neighbors and plenty left over for Friday morning breakfast.

We ended the day playing Chutes and Ladders (with occasional poor sportsmanship), then Operation followed by War using a deck of cards.  Dad had a fire going all day so we all found a comfy spot and watched the Christmas Chronicles II (recommended by my sister).  It was great but now I need to rewatch the first one.  Very entertaining for ALL of us.

All's well that ends well!  Hope your day was tasty and fun!


P.S.  I posted on Honey Baked Ham's Facebook page.  I emailed customer service.  And today I am sending a snail mail.  Not a well managed Covid safe plan at all. 

P.S.S.  My niece is coming over soon to enjoy an outside visit/walk.  She moves to her Tiny Home tomorrow and we hope to gently and safely bring her into our pod!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds hectic but fun with lots of good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the hand down of the cooking ... has begun. I'm so lucky

      Delete
  2. Sounded like a delicious Thanksgiving! I noticed there were less turkeys available for purchase compared to other years (we had steak but our local rescue mission has a turkey drive a few weeks before Thanksgiving and we always donate a turkey to them). I had to upgrade from the store brand to a Butterball to get a turkey for the drive as I wanted a small 12-14 size rather than a 19-24 pound size, not knowing the size of the oven the turkey would go to. I heard that smaller turkeys were in much demand this year because celebrations were trimmed down due to Covid. Son and his family made cornish game hens. He couldn't find them where he usually shops so hubby found them for him (we don't celebrate holidays together on the actual day but did have them over for Chinese take out this past Monday).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, smaller turkeys flew off the shelves! Jesse is making turkey noodle soup today. Yesterday Kate made the most amazing rice, broccoli and ham casserole. Yes, I am so lucky!

      Delete
  3. Homemade cinnamon rolls? Yum! I love cinnamon rolls:) I bet it was really a treat for you not having to cook the Thanksgiving dinner and having so many delicious foods to eat. Just like Jesse, I too am planning to make turkey noodle soup today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her first try ... she did HALF a recipe and we still had way too many. They were still delish on Saturday!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...