Sunday, March 1, 2020

QUITCHER BITCHIN

I still love WLLO Village and the Village movement.



Apparently my venting about the parts I don't want to do anymore has led some to think "why don't you just quit"??  In my little town, there are no transportation options besides the bus, Uber/Lyft or taxi.  I'm not sure I could climb the stairs to get on a bus, let alone our 85+ year old members.  And none of these services will wait while you attend your appointment.  We fill a big niche for people on a budget.

Two members faithfully use their 3 rides a week ... factor that by 52 weeks at $540 a year ... that's $3 per ride.  AND often members ask for additional stops on the way home.   We've only had ONE request that could not be accommodated!  (Out of 200).  We also do a lot of M2M (member to member) rides that don't count as a service request (if I am attending an activity, I usually call a member who doesn't drive to see if they want to go).

Slowly but surely Members are catching on to all the other volunteer services we can provide.  Help with yard work or repotting plants.  Putting closet doors back on track.  Loosening up that last screw to get a sewing machine out and into the car so it could be taken for service.  Lots of technical assistance (installing new printers, unjamming old printers, removing computer gnomes that cause weird things, deleting spyware, malware, viruses).  Cleaning grout.  Replacing innards of the commode.  Spackling.  Etc.

All in all, WLLO is a great thing and I'm proud to help.  There's just that 5% of things that grate on my nerves and I just need to let them go!  It is what it is and no organization is perfect.

Recent Volunteer Meeting


The beverage area (Prez made "mock" hurricanes with rum for the rowdy!)



My first ever King Cake

The Prez made jambalaya, dirty rice and a shrimp platter.  It was a real treat (I brought only a veggie tray ... she wanted ALL volunteers to be treated!)  Good meeting and good socializing.

5 comments:

  1. Willo is a good concept, but they need more incentive for volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonprofit, start up with no extra money, so "incentives" are social gatherings with snacks and drinks. Having a breakfast volunteer "celebration" on Weds. Hope it is better attended than Mardi Gras. Prez wanted to make the meeting MANDATORY and now I can see her point. But saying that would NOT entice me to come!!

      Delete
  2. I think your WLLO organization is great and provides help and support to those who really need it. I've never had a King Cake and just heard about them for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Village concept is really amazing. Some Villages have 400+ members. Currently we are at 42 (Open since June).

      I had never tasted a King Cake either! Moister than panettone, no fruits or nuts, just a swirl of cinnamon. I liked it!

      Delete
  3. It is always hard to get people to volunteer though everyone likes the services volunteers help provide. Seems like WLLO is doing really great with what they are working with!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...